Alvey 650BC

boattart

I have an Alvey 650BC that I bought 5 or 6 years ago but due to my lack of beach fishing it's just gathering dust. I just dug it out to give a go over Easter and the Lever drag doesn't appear to be adding much drag pressure and I'm not sure how to adjust it. I'll take it apart later but thought I might ask for help first.

I have an Alvey 650BC that I bought 5 or 6 years ago but due to my lack of beach fishing it's just gathering dust. I just dug it out to give a go over Easter and the Lever drag doesn't appear to be adding much drag pressure and I'm not sure how to adjust it. I'll take it apart later but thought I might ask for help first.

H Boattart Alvey Reels have a small distribution come service centre in Padstow, from Cronulla it's an easy drive to get there via Alfords Point Bridge. The service centre is run by an old school Alvey expert by the name of John who has spent a lifetime with the company and knows his Alvey Reels like the back of his hand. John will service your Alvey and attend to any problems you may have on the spot. Alvey's are very user friendly and not much can go wrong with them. It would be a good idea to learn the best way to service your model Alvey from John and he will explain how the drag works and how to adjust it.

This is the address for Alvey Reels in Sydney:-

Alvey Reels

Unit 3/3 Jayelem Crs Padstow NSW 2211

(02) 9792 1999

(Alvey's building is among other small units directly down the bottom of Jayelem Crescent - i.e drive in alongside the last building on your left.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Boattart, the Alvey is not a "lever drag" in the traditional sense like overhead reels. The lever on the back of an Alvey is purely to actually activate the drag out of the free-spool function. The drag pressure, as with all Alveys, is modified by tightening the star shaped or knurled knob in the centre of the reel.Bit like tightening a nut.

Try it.

Tuffy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a newer style Alvey with a graphite back and metal side cast. My mate has one and I have used it a few times. It does not have a star drag as such but a lever just behind the handle on the inside of the reel.

My Alvey catalogue describes it as:-

"650BC has anti-reverse with an on/off switch and a lever control clutch which will control line taken by large fish. Fish alert is also on the back."

Cheers

Jim

This is a newer style Alvey with a graphite back and metal side cast. My mate has one and I have used it a few times. It does not have a star drag as such but a lever just behind the handle on the inside of the reel.

My Alvey catalogue describes it as:-

"650BC has anti-reverse with an on/off switch and a lever control clutch which will control line taken by large fish. Fish alert is also on the back."

Cheers

Jim

Oh, I see.

Thanks,