Blooded the new yak

JET01

On Thursday night I picked up my new Hobie Revolution, just in time for the long weekend.

We packed up and went to Bendalong for a few nights to going surfing and do a bit of fishing.

After a good surf on Friday we were all tired and had a few beers and went to bed.

After breakfast on Saturday morning, I prepared the revo for it's maiden voyage.

I had a small christening ceremony for it then put it in Lake Conjola near the inlet at around 1pm. Had a bit of a paddle around to get familiar with everything then headed into the lake for a fish. Could see a few small whiting, but because the Lake was so busy with holiday boaties, there didn't seem to be many fish around.

I headed over to a small island across the way from the Caravan park and scared a big lizard off a shallow bank it would've gone 80cm+. I got a little excited thinking I was going to get a few fish. Flicked lures and a hard body, but didn't get much more than the odd tug from small whiting. Pretty disappointed i headed back to the camp site.

We headed home sunday and I got the :wife: to drop me off at Gunnamatta on the way home. I headed off and after about 20mins of flicking a 3inch minnow around the moorings I picked up my first legal fish in the yak going 27cm to the tip. I put it in the live tank in the hope i'd catch a few more for dinner. The rest of the session proved to be pretty quiet. with not enough fish for a feed the bream went back in to fight another day.

Had to deal with a lot of inconsiderate mariners though, one especially in a big flybridge cruiser. 4knots around moored vessels!!!!!! SLOW DOWN YOU MONGRELS!!!!

Good thing was the revo handled the boat chop well.

Going to head out on Tuesday if the weather is ok. Hope to see a few fellow Raiders out there getting into it before the water gets too cold.

great little Report mate!

I also just got a yak last week - Hobie Sport! :thumbup:

They are neat little things arn't they!?

Cheers,

Mike

I only ever lure fish for flatties and bream, so I really love the simplicity of yak fishing. Stuff all maintenance too!

It's great to be getting some exercise while fishing too. I just wish there was a way to make the hobie's go backwards !!!

Edited by Blood Knot
Swap & Sell Rule 16

I only ever lure fish for flatties and bream, so I really love the simplicity of yak fishing. Stuff all maintenance too!

It's great to be getting some exercise while fishing too. I just wish there was a way to make the hobie's go backwards !!!

i have a hobie too ,but have been yakking for 16yrs chasing bass bream & all other species,but my question is why do you need the hobie to go backwards its pointless

i fish where its very tight areas with the hobie revo or prangler & i just use the paddle to go backwards ,,but they are great versatile kayak

a very well thought of fishing rig

Congrats on blooding the yak... us yakkers are slowly taking over :biggrin2: As boat ramps become ever more congested and the price of fuel continues to climb I can see why this is becoming such a popular way to fish. Would love to upgrade to a pedal Hobie (got a nice Quest at the moment), but I'm developing an unhealthy (for my wallet) curiosity for South African fishing skis! Have to organise a Fishraider yaking trip soon.

Cheers,

Adam.

I should be out in the Hacking tomorrow around Grays Point unless the weather is super nasty... I don't mind a drive so if anyone's going to head out into the Georges, Cooks, or Botany Bay, let me know.

I'm in a blue Revolution. Don't have a flag or anything on it yet, and get around in one of the yellow life jackets out of my tinny. I'll upgrade to one of the slimline ones when i get home from my next trip.