jewfish tags

outfisher

Hi fellas i was fishing the other night and hooked a jewfish in the harbour

which had a cable tie through its back with a rather large tag looked to me to be a

reciever tag or a satilite tag i took a few pics of the fish and released it also

i recorded the number the tag had after i cleaned all the build up off the tag.

The tag was the size of a old style film canistar and was cable tied through the back of the fish.

The fish was healthy though where the cable tie went through and the fins above where the tag sat on its back was very infected

and where the cable tie entered and exited the fish left a gaping hole in the fish and looked rather nasty.

What i am asking can anyone tell me where i can learn more info about this tag or a number i can ring for research purposes.

Thanks

Edited by OUTFISHER

Funny you say that as i caught one aswell near spit bridge and believe it or not it was caught on my bait jig about 2mtrs below the boat i could not believe it on the smallest hook it went 58cm i felt like cutting the transmitter off coz the way they had this tag going thru the middle of the back it was an unpleasant looking site it was painfull looking & all the scales where missing in that area of its back.

Wouldnt mind putting a cable tie thru the persons back & see how they would like it, i would have to say the tags that are put into marlin etc seem to be the way to go not these things.

It was released after recording the number.

Maybe they are really old school tags and just havent caught any with the newer tags? Iunno but thats my theory. But if they tag the fish in this manner still today, im sure they could come up with a more humane way of tagging the fish.

Like those marlin tags, where it hooks in under the skin more like a piercing then a gaping hole.

Poor lil jew !

Jez

Guest Aussie007

these are the ideal tags but are not for jew fish since when has jew fish been tagged i thought DPI was only tagging fish that travel? i blanked out the tag numbers in case someone submits it online ive had my tags a year now when they first arrived i seen the needle and thought wow what if someone was to poke that into me its the size of a coke cola straw i have been contemplating on sending my tags back for this reason

if i was to capture a fish with a tag like the ones u have described i would have removed it immediately and sent it into DPI with all the relevant information if one fish is tagged like this how many more are?

post-3154-052031000 1303993035_thumb.jpg

post-3154-015697100 1303993042_thumb.jpg

post-3154-078173500 1303993049_thumb.jpg

these are the ideal tags but are not for jew fish since when has jew fish been tagged i thought DPI was only tagging fish that travel? i blanked out the tag numbers in case someone submits it online ive had my tags a year now when they first arrived i seen the needle and thought wow what if someone was to poke that into me its the size of a coke cola straw i have been contemplating on sending my tags back for this reason

if i was to capture a fish with a tag like the ones u have described i would have removed it immediately and sent it into DPI with all the relevant information if one fish is tagged like this how many more are?

Yeah thats the tag I thought was the normal one, where it just spikes in and holds instead of having been put on a loop of cable tie.

It could be a tagged fish from the UNSW Mulloway stocking/tracking program of the last decade or so. Many thousands of fingerlings were realased into my local waterway over many years and also up around port stephens from memory. There was also a tracking program along with this where mulloway were line caught, tagged and then released to be tracked via some sort of receiver.

Its only my speculation although I would expect the tagged fish to be of a much larger size by now. Not sure if the program is in full swing as it was many years ago however I was given a jewfish sampling kit by UNSW for sending in information and samples of fin clippings or carcasses.

I agree, a cable tie through a gaping hole carrying a large cylindrical object sounds very wrong and I'd be very dissapointed to find out a legitimate research group has gone about things in this way.

Musty

Guys here is a pic what do you guys think the jews fins were rotting

and the wounds were infected.

I was thinking what would happen once this fish out grown the cable tie

it would just slice straight through the fish very slowely.

post-7863-050916800 1304117539_thumb.jpg

post-7863-000914000 1304117615_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

Guys here is a pic what do you guys think the jews fins were rotting

and the wounds were infected.

I was thinking what would happen once this fish out grown the cable tie

it would just slice straight through the fish very slowely.

WTF! poor fish :( show those pictures to fisheries

Edited by gazza

Thats exactly how the fish was i caught same hole & missing scales very painfull looking indeed, i actually did the fish a favour & cut the thing off before i released it.

As you said by the time the fish got bigger that cable tie would have dug into the body, very nasty set up.

Thats exactly how the fish was i caught same hole & missing scales very painfull looking indeed, i actually did the fish a favour & cut the thing off before i released it.

As you said by the time the fish got bigger that cable tie would have dug into the body, very nasty set up.

Have you that same tag scaffsta

do you still have it.

I did cut the tag off the fish as you did

Edited by OUTFISHER

From what i seen on the website from vemco is its a mini data logger. Which im not too sure is actually meant to be for taggin fish. Looks like someone has used a cable tie to put it onto the fish to record the fish's data except I dont think the actual data recorder was made for fish. I think its just a general purpose data logger.