Dee Why

barberonhigh

There is a really good gutter almost right in between long reef and Dee WHy.

It is marked by a Pole in the sand (you can't miss it).

Only problem its always taken and isn't really room for more than one group.

Good luck

txs for the reply,i did see the pole on google earth,now is it south of the pole or north of it?and how far raffly?

txs

The "Red Pole" is right in the middle of Dee Why beach, halfway between north and south. Right now, I'd come at it from the south, as to get there from the north you have to pass between the lagoon and the sea - and recently the lagoon has been open and with the current huge surf and high tides near dawn, I'd be more comfortable getting to the pole at night on the higher dryer sand. The gutter is usually directly infront of the pole. Often, water on the south side of the pole flows northwards and water north of the pole flows southwards, the currents meet at the pole and go out to sea, creating the rip and gutter that hold the fish.

That said, the beach at Dee Why is looking pretty flat at the moment so the surf is breaking way out from the beach and just rolling all the way into the beach - check out coastalwatch.com.au, pick NSW beaches, and take your pick of the beach surf cams. You may find a beach with gutters close enough to shore that you can cast your bait into them. (Note that the Dee Why cam is at the south end of the beach, so the Red Pole is just about out of its range). Also, Dee Why can get pretty kelpy - especially in high surf.

Apparently, there is a rather large chunk of burley washed up on Newport beach - all day friday and saturday, there will be people there carving up the carcass of a sperm whale and apparently alot of blood and oil is draining into the sea.

Edited by ginko

• 1 year later...

Go check out Dee WHy on Saturday.

It won't be flat.

It just depends what you are going for.

At Dee Why you will get a really mixed bag.

I have a favorite whiting beach. Its the beach between Warriewood and Dee Why. Look it up.

What is the name of the beach? Isnt that colloroy or narabeen?