Anytips On Fishing Lake Lyle

Guest hottuna

Guest hottuna

Planning on hooking up the ploycraft and tring my hand at a bit of trout fishing. Ive never chased trout nor fished lyle, so anything you may know would be helpfull.

Ive already contacted the ranger, to inform him of our arrival. We`re leaving monday night after work and arrive when we arrive, its less than 2hrs from my back door. I`ll bring along an Oztent and set up a small camp, yes its going to be cold i believe

Ive got a few (too many) tassie devils, celtas, 5-10g chromies, good range of plastic, 8 or so spinnebaits, rainbow - powerbait in paste and pellets. I`ll bring along afew 1, 2 and 3kg outfits. Id really like to at least hook a trout. I hear its been going off there. I`ll work the shores at sparrows fart and then as the sun rises jump on the boat and maybe claytons downrig a tassie or 2. (using a shippton ziplock boom)

Thanks in advance

Dan

Ive got a few (too many) tassie devils, celtas, 5-10g chromies, good range of plastic, 8 or so spinnebaits, rainbow - powerbait in paste and pellets. I`ll bring along  afew 1, 2 and 3kg outfits. Id really like to at least hook a trout. I hear its been going off there.  I`ll work the shores at sparrows fart and then as the sun rises jump on the boat and maybe claytons downrig a tassie or 2. (using a shippton ziplock boom)

Thanks in advance

Dan

50202[/snapback]

G'day Dan, looks like you've got it all covered.

If it were me I wouldn't bother working the shore line from the shore. Jump straight in the boat and troll the edges or work the edges from the boat. The usual places will work i.e. weed bed edges, flats, deep holes, rocky outcrops etc.

I've never bothered using down riggers mainly because I can't be bothered and have never had a need to. That's not to say it isn't worth downrigging, give it a go and you should get some good results.

Mind you, down rigging is very useful up there in the summer when the trout tend to go deeper to escape the heat.

As for camping up there, take some slow burning timber with you and some kindling or some spare petrol to start the fire on the first night, saves looking for some on the first night.

Take plenty of blankets and a beanie for the noggin'. It does get cold but it's not that bad.......actually I enjoy the cold better. Ive camped there when it's snowed and it is quite common to have a frost settle on the car etc from around 7-8pm. Keeps the esky ice from melting and keeps the beers and coke cold. :beersmile:

Depending on where you camp and how long you stay for, there are showers and clean toilets. Take plenty of 20 cent pieces for the showers if you feel the need to have a scrub.

Good luck and if you don't catch anything with that list of lures/baits etc, I'd be very surprised. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Guest hottuna
G'day Dan, looks like you've got it all covered.

If it were me I wouldn't bother working the shore line from the shore. Jump straight in the boat and troll the edges or work the edges from the boat. The usual places will work i.e. weed bed edges, flats, deep holes, rocky outcrops etc.

I've never bothered using down riggers mainly because I can't be bothered and have never had a need to. That's not to say it isn't worth downrigging, give it a go and you should get some good results.

Mind you, down rigging is very useful up there in the summer when the trout tend to go deeper to escape the heat.

As for camping up there, take some slow burning timber with you and some kindling or some spare petrol to start the fire on the first night, saves looking for some on the first night.

Take plenty of blankets and a beanie for the noggin'. It does get cold but it's not that bad.......actually I enjoy the cold better. Ive camped there when it's snowed and it is quite common to have a frost settle on the car etc from around 7-8pm. Keeps the esky ice from melting and keeps the beers and coke cold.  :beersmile:

Depending on where you camp and how long you stay for, there are showers and clean toilets. Take plenty of 20 cent pieces for the showers if you feel the need to have a scrub.

Good luck and if you don't catch anything with that list of lures/baits etc, I'd be very surprised. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

50305[/snapback]

Thanks alot. I forgot to mention that we`re only there for a day. I also keen to try a new 5-6 wt fly rod i aquired, i think it s cheapy, its a fenwick rod and abu 56 reel.

Thanks again and i cant wait.

dan

Good Luck Dan, a beautiful spot. Wonder how much water is there, as it was quite low when we were there 9 months ago (and not much rain since me thinks). Should have the fish a bit more concentrated :1prop:

I would head straight into the boat rather than shore based, as it damn sticky around the edge. Lost the odd shoe there before.....

Should definitely catch something with that arsenal - can't wait for the report.

Hey Hot tuna, at this time of year the lake should really be firing but downrigging might not be the best approach right now as the majority of the mature fish will be looking for somewhere to spawn so I would be concentrating my efforts towards any of the small feeder creeks such as the farmers creek arm and surroundig banks. There is plenty of room to wave the wand in this area also with easy access to plenty of useable shoreline. Follow the Sir Thomas Mitchell drive turnoff till you reach the dam.When you get there on the left you will find some steep banks falling into very deep water where your tassie devils will do just fine. :1clap: By the way I have been cleaning up on the trout lately using stimulate instant bait with ultrabite! Just mould some onto a smallish hook (no6 to no10 suicide) and leave your rod set in a secure rod holder and you may just be surprised :1yikes: what climbes on the end! Good luck . :1fishing1:

Guest hottuna
Hey Hot tuna, at this time of year the lake should really be firing but downrigging might not be the best approach right now as the majority of the mature fish will be looking for somewhere to spawn so I would be concentrating my efforts towards any of the small feeder creeks such as the farmers creek arm and surroundig banks. There is plenty of room to wave the wand in this area also with easy access to plenty of useable shoreline. Follow the Sir Thomas Mitchell drive turnoff till you reach the dam.When you get there on the left you will find some steep banks falling into very deep water where your tassie devils will do just fine. :1clap: By the way I have been cleaning up on the trout lately using stimulate instant bait with ultrabite! Just mould some onto a smallish hook (no6 to no10 suicide) and leave your rod set in a secure rod holder and you may just be surprised :1yikes: what climbes on the end! Good luck . :1fishing1:

50439[/snapback]

Thanks troutboy. i read your report re waterfall, sounds fun

dan