Wharf fishing in Syd Harbour

plankton

There seem to be a number of members frequently catching prized fish from wharves of Sydney Harbour. I believe the dynamics of wharf fishing have changed, as previously wharves were used mostly for targeting 'bread and butter species'. There are many factors which may have caused the shift towards using heavier tackle and bigger baits although, the opportunities were probably always there.

My hat goes off to some of the members, who catch Jewies consistently from land-based spots and Wharves. I think by harnessing their knowledge happiness is just a short cast away. Obviously, tides, season, moon phase, location and pressure readings play a more important role in success regarding this style of fishing than they do fishing from a boat, due to the many limiting factors involved.

The wharves located upstream of the main harbour in often cloudier water appear to be the subject of a few good catches, although other wharves, such as those around the Harbour Bridge have their moments too. The aim to catch a nice Jew (+10kg ) from a Harbour wharf has begun for the coming Winter. Any tips from those with the expertise would be welcomed.

Thanks, Brett

I'm no expert on jews but i can tell you that greenwich wharf has alot of jewies around the 10kg range. Havent tried for one but give it a go with fresh squid, tailor or livies and put in the time. You will get that elusive jewie if you know what you know doing. High tide is best, especially at night with a new moon!

Good Luck