interested in buying a kayak

weststigers2005

I have been looking at buying a kayak to go fishing on. I am looking for preferably a two seat kayak(unless this isn't practical??) to fish with my brother in( split costs) we are only young and dont have heaps of money. i have been looking on the net and all i can find are kayaks for min $1300. Money i don't have at the moment and money im not willing to spend even after saving alot of money from work. the max i would be willing to pay is about 800-1000 with most things attached. does anyone know any GOOD cheapish brands to start of with. or does anyone have a kayak they are willing to sell.(single or double).

i am not looking at buying at the moment.

also if you have a kayak that is worth me looking at buying from store would it be possible for some photos?

finally what is everyones opinion on fishfinders on kayak?

any tips will be GREAT

thanks in advance

toby

Hi Tobie,

Having just finished school - I also just bought a Kayak and it is the best thing I have ever done.

The great things of the kayak is: No petrol, no rego, no trailer, rego, no insurance etc etc. I come home from work at 2pm and can be flicking the flats by 2:30pm. Come home and all I have to do is give it a quick wash down with fresh! - Too easy :thumbup:

I spend around $3k on my yak - I got the Hobie Mirage Sport. This was fully loaded with Live well, sail rudder, Turbo Fins etc.

I think when it comes to yaks you cant go past the Hobies, especially from a fishing point of view - the hands free aspect is great!

Goodluck with your purchase!

Cheers,

Mike

thanks i have been looking at hobies. bit out of my price range but i can save up. if i have to. what do u think about tandem fishing from them??

I have been looking at buying a kayak to go fishing on. I am looking for preferably a two seat kayak(unless this isn't practical??) to fish with my brother in( split costs) we are only young and dont have heaps of money. i have been looking on the net and all i can find are kayaks for min $1300. Money i don't have at the moment and money im not willing to spend even after saving alot of money from work. the max i would be willing to pay is about 800-1000 with most things attached. does anyone know any GOOD cheapish brands to start of with. or does anyone have a kayak they are willing to sell.(single or double).

i am not looking at buying at the moment.

also if you have a kayak that is worth me looking at buying from store would it be possible for some photos?

finally what is everyones opinion on fishfinders on kayak?

any tips will be GREAT

thanks in advance

toby

If you want to try it out I think there is a kayak hire place at the spit.

That might be a good way for you to get out and get a feel for it.

Not sure on costs or weather they have two seaters.

I think 2 cheap single seaters would be a better option if you both want to fish as they would be more monuverable.

If you wanted to duck out for a fish by yourself in a two seater they are much heaver and harder to paddle by yourself!

If you were going to get two sit on tops you could stack one on top of each other on the roof racks or for sit ins you can buy supports to mount them on their sides.

I think one of the big outdoor/camping stores (the one with the same name as a snake) hire them as well so you could try before you buy.

As for sounders I have one in my Kayak and it works great. Its just a cheap lowrance (about 100 bucks) but just doesn't read water temp very well as the transducer is mounted in the hull so as to not get damaged by rocks in rapids etc.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

Edited by aquaman

Hi Toby

check Google for 'used hobies' - they can be as low as $1500 with lots of extras included on them, like fish finders extra rod holders, anchor trolley & well worth the money. Hands free fishing.

Whichever yak you go for, MAKE SURE YOU TEST DRVE IT WITH A ROD IN HAND! NEVER buy a yak you haven't tried personally.

2 seaters are usually heavier & more difficult to load. It is better to have 2 singles, one each. Then the other person can go where they want. Also the person in the rear usually gets wet from the front person's strokes! 1badmood.gif

If you ever see a yakker at a launch spot. speak to them & ask lots of questions & they'll likely give you a test drive & explain why they reckon theirs is the best!!

Cheers

Roberta