Jigging reels

adkel53

I'm doing my homework before purchasing a new reel to go with a Shimano Duodrifter jigging rod that I recently picked up. These rods are supposed to be good for both overhead and spins reels. Any one had any experience with them? Which style of reel works best?

Some advice on brands, models and size of suitable reels would be appreciated. I anticipate spooling up with 50 lb braid and fishing within 2-3 km of the Sydney coastline ie not in really deep water. Thinking along the lines of Shimano Saragosa 8000, Daiwa Saltist 4500, Okuma V system 65S in the spin range. No real ideas on the overhead models though. Any advice/experiences much appreciated.

Kel

I'm doing my homework before purchasing a new reel to go with a Shimano Duodrifter jigging rod that I recently picked up. These rods are supposed to be good for both overhead and spins reels. Any one had any experience with them? Which style of reel works best?

Some advice on brands, models and size of suitable reels would be appreciated. I anticipate spooling up with 50 lb braid and fishing within 2-3 km of the Sydney coastline ie not in really deep water. Thinking along the lines of Shimano Saragosa 8000, Daiwa Saltist 4500, Okuma V system 65S in the spin range. No real ideas on the overhead models though. Any advice/experiences much appreciated.

Kel

Hey mate,

A fellow raider who fishes with me uses a saragosa. He fishes often and fishes heavy drag. He has pulled plenty of good fish (including some over a metre) and the reel is stil working flawlessly. I have had a go at the saltist spin and found the gear ratio too high for jigging. In fact i was going to buy one until i had a go at it.

I have a Daiwa Saltist (star drag) 40H overhead reel. It is now three years old and it has had some serious time on the water. It still works perfectly and has landed some great fish including kings over a metre and yellowfin tuna. For the price range i couldn't recommend anything else.

Some may disagree but I am not to content with the durability of okuma products. I have an okuma baitcaster and have had to get quite a few parts replaced through fatigue failure. The lifetime warranty is good but it is still annoying having to change parts.

Hope this helps!

I agree with the comments about the Okuma reels. They're great value for what you get but you're paying for better features at the price rather than better engineering. The newer generation Okumas (like the Cedros) seem to be getting much better though.

I've also got a Saltist 40H and would highly recommend it. With that said though, when I chase kings and amberjacks off the Tweed, I usually take an Abu and a Stella outfit.

Cheers, Slinky