How often should you service your reels

Yarraone

Hi guys , after every trip I wash down my reels and dry them and then store them with a loose drag.. But, how often should you pull them apart or have them fully serviced?

I dont think i would like to try and pull them apart my self..My egg beaters maybe but definatly not my overheads..

And can anyone reconmend eny one in sydney that does this at a fair price? Would it be better just to hand them all to someone onece a year or something as I live in Bathurst NSW :thumbup:

Hey mate,

I service my reels once a year (unless i feel there is something not right prior to that time). I have serviced both spin reels and overhead reels. To be honest, I find the overheads a bit more straightforward but maybe that's because I am more used to them.

I learnt what to do on some cheapies so if its your first go, maybe steer clear if it is you pride and joy.

Generally you return the reel to the manufacturer (shimano, daiwa, okuma, whatever..) The cost usually depends on the reel. A service for different daiwa models i am aware of range from $30 to $150 (0r was it $100 - but this was for the saltiga spin)

Edited by fishmaniac

G'day Yarra,

If you're happy doing spin reels, overheads are actually a lot easier. My reels get fully serviced by me either once a year or after any extended trips (like a week in Townsville or a 4 day Monduran bash).

If you want to get them serviced, either get it done by the dealer or give Global Tackle a call. They service reels and do a great job.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi all,

i never service the reels. But I try to lubricate them by myself when i feel the reel 's a bit stuck. Unfortunately, I lost the spring part of the bail when Im trying to lubricate it. i have to bring it back to my tacxkle shop to order the part for me. Actually I'm not sure if I did the right maintenance and wondering if there's any book available to teach u how to maintain fishing gears.

Cheers, Phil

Hi all,

i never service the reels. But I try to lubricate them by myself when i feel the reel 's a bit stuck. Unfortunately, I lost the spring part of the bail when Im trying to lubricate it. i have to bring it back to my tacxkle shop to order the part for me. Actually I'm not sure if I did the right maintenance and wondering if there's any book available to teach u how to maintain fishing gears.

Cheers, Phil

G'day Phil,

The best book on reel maintenance is the internet. Have a look through the reel and tackle maintenance forum on Fishraider.

Cheers, Slinky