Mangrove Jack Lures

rjc123

Hey guys,

i went up to Weipa last year and fell in love with that red fish commonly known as a mangrove jack. They are dirty fighters and arent that easy to catch. Im heading up to Noosa in month or two and am hoping to test my skill on a few in a secret spot of mine that also produces Big bream, Cod, Whiting, GT's and Jewies! I am armed with a Shimano jewell 3-5kg rod with a Shimano Symetre 2500 size reel. I have a few Prawn lures and Slim Jims that are dynamite but would like to have a larger selection. Can anyone suggest other good lures?

Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Easy to find almost everywhere. The way to fish them up this way is to find some good rocky shoreline that's hit by good current. Then use a jig head that will let the prong drift down the 'wall' rather than plummet to the bottom. Keep it as close to the rocks for as long as you can, fishing down the contours.

Cheers, Slinky

Any 1 - 3 metre deep running hardbody in black and red, black and gold or darker colours when the water has a bit of mud in it

lighter colours like pilchard, mullet, bleeding mullet when the water it cleaner and has that lighter flouro green tinge to it

8 - 12 cm if you go the cheaper lures it might be an idea to upgrade the trebles

late afternoon is better for a jack attack

Yeh, ill be fishing dawn, arvo and night for those toothy treasures. Cant wait, last time i was there targeting bream with bait and came across a prawn lure on the path and it looked farmiliar to something i had heard about. I cast it out and had 3 hookups in hal=f an hour on big fish. all broke me off on the pylons. May have been cod, jacks or jewies

They sound good, the thing is it is mainly rock and sand on the bottom with no mangroves. There are pylons so i think something to get down to the bottom and have a nice smooth retrieve. nothing too big. How big are these lures you mentioned?

At first i thought i would need heavier gear too but i have been told last time i was up there that it is more than adequate. I will lose a few to the pylons but its for the fun of it i guess.