Botany Bay Sunday -

t187

Started the day trying to get some squid at the weedbeds near yarra, had no luck and the time was ticking past so gave that up and went and filled the tank with some yakkas which are always easy to find.

Ended up at Molly pt with the other 10 or 20 so boats, actually had a nice hit after about 5 minutes with a livie midwater, however it hooked onto the small sliding hook on my snelled rig not the 5/0 so after about 20 seconds fish is gone and the hook comes back bent wide open, damn...

not much happening so went to the oil wharf for a little but there was a tanker there so couldnt get too close to the deeper holes near closer to the wharf, headed back to molly pt again and managed to snag a nice fat salmon, didnt measure it but going off the 1.25lt bottle beside it, woulda been approx 75cm.

Please excuse the crappy iphone pic.

post-17543-076649600 1306102520_thumb.jpg

Oh well, i think next time im gonna spend some more time hunting down the squid beforehand!

Ali

Edited by taleb87

Yeah put in the time and effort for the squid and u'll be rewarded and yes sometimes get's really frustrating but I will not leave the squid grounds until i have a couple in the tank. Sometimes i'll spend up to 3 hrs, but i always say to anyone i take out, get the squid and u'll get the kings.

Edited by quintrex480

Started the day trying to get some squid at the weedbeds near yarra, had no luck and the time was ticking past so gave that up and went and filled the tank with some yakkas which are always easy to find......

.....Oh well, i think next time im gonna spend some more time hunting down the squid beforehand!

Ali

Hi Ali well it looks like things have quitened down on the squid with the trough and now the cold front coming thru. It seems the squid are in the last of their cycle as they only live for 12-18 months or so at the best of times. I wonder how Port Hacking is performing on the squid front at the moment. In regards to Botany Bay I feel someone should give Bear Island a go if only to guage Botany Bay. A keen squidder might like to get down there and let us know the result, Penguin would fit the bill nicely unless he has decided to hibernate too :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Yeah put in the time and effort for the squid and u'll be rewarded and yes sometimes get's really frustrating but I will not leave the squid grounds until i have a couple in the tank. Sometimes i'll spend up to 3 hrs, but i always say to anyone i take out, get the squid and u'll get the kings.

hey table87.. Just ensure you get to the squid grounds before mr Quintrex here otherwise you have no hope... he will clean them out before you jig even hits the water!!!

in the port hacking squid very far and few between and even then you only tend to to get the bigger ones full of eggs so unles you are planing on going out for that dream fish outside its slim pickings at the moment :biggrin2:

i think im gonna have to beat BOTH of you before you wipe out the whole squid AND kingy population in the bay lol.

followed your advice quintrex480 on the squid, tried a few spots there too but no luck, couple other boats there too didnt seem to have any luck, oh well always next time...

i'll keep your tip in mind Trung next time im out there looking for squid, the only kings i've caught in the bay have been on fresh caught squid that a bloke kindly gave me while at the ramp as he was packing up and i was heading in, so yea i think i just got too anxious seeing all the boats parked up and me not catching any squid hehe.

I spotted scotty lyons at molly pt too, didnt see him bring up any kings though so that made me feel a little better :biggrin2:

Im curious has anyone actually fished at the grounds in yarra? while jigging i did see a fair few shadows in the water roughly 40cm long, not sure what kinda fish but they were definately a good size...

Where in botany bay do you catch the squid, I am familiar with catching them

in Port Jackson, but have no idea where to get em in the Bay.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Yarra is the usual squid haunt, like Byron said, you always see land based blokes off bare island too, I just got too anxious and wanted to start fishing for kings instead of squid for bait, big mistake!

Hi Ali well it looks like things have quitened down on the squid with the trough and now the cold front coming thru. It seems the squid are in the last of their cycle as they only live for 12-18 months or so at the best of times. I wonder how Port Hacking is performing on the squid front at the moment. In regards to Botany Bay I feel someone should give Bear Island a go if only to guage Botany Bay. A keen squidder might like to get down there and let us know the result, Penguin would fit the bill nicely unless he has decided to hibernate too :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi all,

I was at Bare Island earlier in the week, plenty of squid marks on the bridge but none in the water.

Tried all around the island for squid not even a follow.