Narooma or Tuross Head

camb1988

Wanting some advice on whether to fish Tuross head or Narooma this coming June. Every year me and my mates head south fishing/surfing/camping and we are for the most part complete novices. We usually manage to snag a few salmon bream flathead drummer and what have you from the rocks near bawley but we want to try somewhere new. Have read up and these two places, Narooma and Tuross, and both seem perfect for our first trip down with a couple of tinny's. Any Advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Both destinations can produce good results during the colder months. At that time of year, water temps in those sytems will be pretty low. (Tuross dropped to 8 degrees last Winter). There is usually some entertaining beach fishing in both places, predominately for salmon or tailor, although some big bream often feature as a bi-catch. Slow your retrieve rate down, downsize your lure choice and you may be pleasantly surprised what you find!

You may find Shoalhaven and Mallacoota more productive at that time of year? Good luck wherever you decide. Time spent fishing with mates is a great trip away!

Cheers

Hodgey

Both destinations can produce good results during the colder months. At that time of year, water temps in those sytems will be pretty low. (Tuross dropped to 8 degrees last Winter). There is usually some entertaining beach fishing in both places, predominately for salmon or tailor, although some big bream often feature as a bi-catch. Slow your retrieve rate down, downsize your lure choice and you may be pleasantly surprised what you find!

You may find Shoalhaven and Mallacoota more productive at that time of year? Good luck wherever you decide. Time spent fishing with mates is a great trip away!

Cheers

Hodgey

Cheers for that hodgy. Would it be worth fishing the esturies around then unting for flatty or the odd jew or will they be far and few between?! Will also be keen for some drummer fishing off the rocks if we can find a good spot and the weather allows

Definitely. Find the deep holes in the estuaries during winter and you generally find the big flatties or jews. Some of my biggest crocs have come during the middle of winter. Numbers will usually be down, but the quality will be very good. Batemans Bay offers some very good drummer fishing, as does Moruya. Just be mindful of the MPA.

Let me know if you head down. I'd be happy to catch up and point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Hodgey

Definitely. Find the deep holes in the estuaries during winter and you generally find the big flatties or jews. Some of my biggest crocs have come during the middle of winter. Numbers will usually be down, but the quality will be very good. Batemans Bay offers some very good drummer fishing, as does Moruya. Just be mindful of the MPA.

Let me know if you head down. I'd be happy to catch up and point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Hodgey

Cheers for all the help Hodgy, Much appreciated! Will certainly send you a pm if we struggle to find the fish. Hopefully will have some good reports for the fellow raiders soon.