Awesome day offshore

mako1

Dad and I were out offshore on Saturday.

The plan was to troll around and then hit the mountain for a bottom bash and then troll back in.

About 45mins after setting the spread with brand new lures the shotgun screams off.

I didn’t see the take and there was no surface splash but we were losing line fast.

The fish took all of the mono and half of the braid backing by the time I had all of the other rods and the teaser in.

Dad wasn’t looking forward to winding all of the line back in so he handed the rod to me and we chased the fish.

I had the mono back onto the reel and then the fish took off again and it took the mono and quite a bit of the braid backing again.

The fish stayed deep for about an hour before it finally angled up and surfaced near the boat.

It was a beautiful blue marlin :yahoo:

It did a few jumps out wide and then we got it closer and I saw it was tail wrapped.

It jumped a few more times before it took off again along the surface.

We kept chasing it and I had the trace once but it was going to be a tough task trying to grab the bill with a tail wrapped fish.

I had caught most of the fight on a camera but the battery decided to run out.

We were able to get close enough to grab the trace two times but it was just two difficult to grab the bill.

We took a quick rest and I was able to change the battery and continue filming.

I chased the fish again and had another two goes at grabbing the trace but it was too hard to lift the fish up.

In the end the trace had been weakened by the tail beats and it gave way.

It was a great feeling to get our first blue marlin, our second marlin for the boat and we couldn't wait to tell everyone when we got home.

We were pretty stuffed after the fight so we went over and tried a drop at Browns but with all of the boats out there we didn’t like our chances so we ran in to some 100m reefs and caught a feed of jackets, mowies and nannygai.

We couldn’t have asked for a better day on the water.

Can't wait to get out there again :biggrin2:

Here is the video. It’s not the clearest as the lens on the camera decided to fog up during the fight.

Dad and I were out offshore on Saturday.

The plan was to troll around and then hit the mountain for a bottom bash and then troll back in.

About 45mins after setting the spread with brand new lures the shotgun screams off.

I didn’t see the take and there was no surface splash but we were losing line fast.

The fish took all of the mono and half of the braid backing by the time I had all of the other rods and the teaser in.

Dad wasn’t looking forward to winding all of the line back in so he handed the rod to me and we chased the fish.

I had the mono back onto the reel and then the fish took off again and it took the mono and quite a bit of the braid backing again.

The fish stayed deep for about an hour before it finally angled up and surfaced near the boat.

It was a beautiful blue marlin :yahoo:

It did a few jumps out wide and then we got it closer and I saw it was tail wrapped.

It jumped a few more times before it took off again along the surface.

We kept chasing it and I had the trace once but it was going to be a tough task trying to grab the bill with a tail wrapped fish.

I had caught most of the fight on a camera but the battery decided to run out.

We were able to get close enough to grab the trace two times but it was just two difficult to grab the bill.

We took a quick rest and I was able to change the battery and continue filming.

I chased the fish again and had another two goes at grabbing the trace but it was too hard to lift the fish up.

In the end the trace had been weakened by the tail beats and it gave way.

It was a great feeling to get our first blue marlin, our second marlin for the boat and we couldn't wait to tell everyone when we got home.

We were pretty stuffed after the fight so we went over and tried a drop at Browns but with all of the boats out there we didn’t like our chances so we ran in to some 100m reefs and caught a feed of jackets, mowies and nannygai.

We couldn’t have asked for a better day on the water.

Can't wait to get out there again :biggrin2:

Here is the video. It’s not the clearest as the lens on the camera decided to fog up during the fight.

Fantastic work guys,great video work and memories to last a life time :yahoo: What lure did you catch the marlin on and what teaser were you running???

chris

Thanks for the replies.

Fantastic work guys,great video work and memories to last a life time :yahoo: What lure did you catch the marlin on and what teaser were you running???

chris

The lure was a 7" Polu Kai shaka plunger jet in pilly colour.

We had a whole spread of Polu Kai lures, two rocketman jets and the rest shaka plungers.

They look great and run really well.

The teaser was a Williamson bulb squid spreader bar.

It was the first time we have run a spreader bar and we were really impressed with it.

It looks good in the water, runs straight and runs at higher speeds.

Thanks for the replies.

The lure was a 7" Polu Kai shaka plunger jet in pilly colour.

We had a whole spread of Polu Kai lures, two rocketman jets and the rest shaka plungers.

They look great and run really well.

The teaser was a Williamson bulb squid spreader bar.

It was the first time we have run a spreader bar and we were really impressed with it.

It looks good in the water, runs straight and runs at higher speeds.

Thanks for the reply i,m yet to buy a teaser and your set up sounds perfect :thumbup:

Never heard of polu kai lures will look at those also,i,ve been using black magic sauries in 7" i find the lures fine but hooks needed replacing with better quality.

Good luck on the next Marlin :1fishing1:

chris.