Sydney North Head SUN 29/5

2kgline

Went out to north head (Sydney) Sunday great day the rain held off and no one else around. We went mainly to catch bait as the bonito are thinning out so we wanted to get some more for bream baits for winter.

Dropped the lures in 30 seconds latter hooked a good Mac tuna, soon followed by a smaller one, only manager 4 bonito one of which was sacrificed to the bream, trevally and snapper . There was also a plague of king fish (45-55cm) good fun but no keepers. Gave up on the bonito and decided to bottom bounce changed down to our usual 4lb outfits we found the trevally in their usual spot along with a good supply of snapper. We had many hard runs and bust offs from the plentiful king fish and large salmon yes the one in the photo was taken on 4lb line. As was the larger red.

Headed back into one of our bream spots at the back of the spit, as you can see seemed to work ok. Once again the back of the spit was full of king fish hanging around the boat. They were not taking anything but eating the bread from the burley bag. Wish we had live squid to tempt them. These fish were much bigger than outside 80cm to 1m+ and in large numbers . One of the 1m+ guys decides to eat one of the snapper whole (25 cm) right at the boat. No chance on 4lb line got smoked. It was about time to re-spool anyway. There seems to be a lot of kings around for this time of year.

All in all not a bad day out. And as I said in the beginning the best part no one else around.

post-13182-091384300 1306813721_thumb.jpg

All along the front face you can spot trevally on the sounder but the bonito were only small in number and not schooled up. The trevally were also in middle harbor as they have been for a few weeks now.

The large number of king fish also surprised us normally only expect to see a few big guys this time of year as the water is now 17

Good session. surprising getting a mack tuna in the harbour at this time of year. They are rare enough in summer let alone the colder months!

Even used old snapper frames so much for theory it scares away the snapper

Great session - was this around near Bluefish point?

Must have berleyed up big man?

Well done!

Butch

The large number of king fish also surprised us normally only expect to see a few big guys this time of year as the water is now 17

Was it 17 degrees off the heads as well as in the harbour? MHL bouy is still recording temps a tad over 20 degrees 10km out.

Was it 17 degrees off the heads as well as in the harbour? MHL bouy is still recording temps a tad over 20 degrees 10km out.

18 in close to the heads 1km out 17 in the harbour. If you look at the sea surface temprature on the bom.gov.au web site under marine and ocean you will see the cold water is moving in rapidly. This is actualy a better site than MHL for surface tempratures.

AMAZING! And on 4lb line too? WOW

I didn’t tell you how many we lost. Believe me with salmon this big and rat kings in 15m of water over reef you go through a lot of hooks. Basically when you not winding you tying knots. Some time we had no gear in the water at all. Such is the nature of light line fishing. The Bonito and Macs were taken on 20lb braid using rapala CD9 red nose.

nice haul hope your feeling hungry

Big family they wont last long, bonito will be converted to bream and snapper, as for the salmon have to give that one away I have some friends that love to eat them !!!! I dont know how they do it I have tried many ways to cook them and they always taste like #$@%

PLEASE don't take this as an attack on your catch. I love my harbour trevs too. Have known they are slow growers for some time, but have recently learned how slow. Did you know it takes a silver trevally 10 years to grow to just 35cms. Yep a DECADE to reach just 35cms. And that's not fork length but total length. I was amazed. This has made me seriously think about my trev catches. Going by your pic that's around a century of growth sitting there. It's really something to contemplate. Kings and bonnies (and believe it or not, snapper in the first few years of their life, are quick growers and no prob keeping for a feed). I am not a fanatical C and R fella: to me that attitude is a liability as it lets the anti-fishos say "you just cause fish pain and then let em go" while a sensible approach of keeping a few mid sized fish for the table is far easier to defend, and for non-fishos to understand. Again this isn't an attack on your catch, just a plea to have a think about what's kept and what's not in relation to growth rates. Cheers Bombie

PLEASE don't take this as an attack on your catch. I love my harbour trevs too. Have known they are slow growers for some time, but have recently learned how slow. Did you know it takes a silver trevally 10 years to grow to just 35cms. Yep a DECADE to reach just 35cms. And that's not fork length but total length. I was amazed. This has made me seriously think about my trev catches. Going by your pic that's around a century of growth sitting there. It's really something to contemplate. Kings and bonnies (and believe it or not, snapper in the first few years of their life, are quick growers and no prob keeping for a feed). I am not a fanatical C and R fella: to me that attitude is a liability as it lets the anti-fishos say "you just cause fish pain and then let em go" while a sensible approach of keeping a few mid sized fish for the table is far easier to defend, and for non-fishos to understand. Again this isn't an attack on your catch, just a plea to have a think about what's kept and what's not in relation to growth rates. Cheers Bombie

No offence taken. Yep know that I been involved in many research projects and have been fishing this spot for over 30 years and scuba dived there many times believe me there are many thousands of trevally at this location and I have never know a bad year for them. They may grow slow but the bread like rabbits. On the other hand many spots we fish/dive that used to produce snapper, bream, jews and flathead have dramatically depleted. From my personal experiences Trevally’s are one of the great survivors. The reason for this is they are not commercially target (like snapper and others species) and most people don’t know how to catch them in numbers they are an accidental catch. We often sit next to boats that don’t catch a single fish while we a flat out for hours. One hint I can give people if you want to catch fish in numbers you need to spend time in the water with observing them .

Closing note we also like to eat them.

Sorry to be a negative on the fishing! but have you ever heard of catch and release? some of those fish are so small... give them a chance to grow i say.

Mate they're all legal and inside the bag limit, thats all you need to know. Nice winter Haul by the way :thumbup:

Edited by Krispy !

Sorry to be a negative on the fishing! but have you ever heard of catch and release? some of those fish are so small... give them a chance to grow i say.

I understand your concern. You will be happy to know we release many more fish than we take. We normally release the bigger ones (to much for one meal) You don't see the large flatheads that were all released that day (female breaders of course). Also the days we fish for Kings we only ever take 2 all the rest go back as I said the trevally are not in danger like other species. Also Trevally are very safe to eat if you eat a lot of fish as they have low mercury levels much like snapper and bream.

Hey 2 kay good to know you care! Know what you mean about underwater observation. Little while ago had a quick snorkel in the corner of a Sydney beach. Middle of a sunny day, crystal water, tiny swell. There in front of me in maybe three-four feet of water over sand, maybe 20 feet from the beach, was a bunch of trevs to about 30-35cms sucking on floating strands of ribbon weed like they were kids slurping down spaghetti. Was fascinating to watch and stayed observing for half an hour. must have looked weird to a passerby! Maybe they were stripping the weed of tiny crustacea as they'd spit out the strand of weed after the "slurp".

Agree there's still great numbers of trevs in the harbour but I have noticed over past 30-odd years that the general size is down. Personally don't believe there are as many real stonkers around. Certainly don't seem to get the 2kg plus jobbies as often as used to, but maybe that's just me! My post was just a personal thing. Great catch by the way! I prefer small hair and feather jigs for trevs, they just smash em and no gut hookings. Only problem is lots of big mean things also love the little jigs and 2kay fireline gets smoked and I don't like leaving hooks/lures in fish's mouths. Much prefer trevs to bream! Quite happy for the bream lure fanatics to keep casting at jetties and wharves, I'll stay hunting ribbon weed beds and drop offs and deeper sand/rock margins. Love to eat em too, sashimi or curry or poison crue (spell?) Cheers.

Edited by bombora