Baitcaster Kaputsky!

sinbad66

Bought a new baitcaster just before Xmas to replace my old faithful of 10 plus years

not being too rich i spent around $150 on what i believed was a trusting brand

over xmas /new year i used it approx 6 or 8 times

after each sesh id give it a good rinse in fresh water

dry her off and put it away for next time

before easter i went for a fish and noticed the drag and gearing didnt feel quite right [ a bit clunky]

so i took it back to place of purchase and they in turn sent it in on warranty

now 8 weeks later after numerous [we are waiting on parts excuses] i get the call

Sorry but you reel is severely corroded inside this is not a warranty issue

the parts will cost nearly the same as a new reel what do u want us to do sir !!

Now my points to them was

hey i washed the reel after each outing

my previous reels have lasted years not months

just how the hell could u prevent this if i cant open her up and waterblast her out because id void my warranty

There offer on a 10-20% discount on a new reel was a joke

as if id buy the same piece of S$#T again

so now im screwed

no money to buy a new reel well at least for a while anyway

dont know if i can name this brand but i sure as hell will be telling everyone fisho i know to steer well clear of there rubbish

as for my local fishing shop well im pretty pissed off with them as well

D@#$A = CRAP

rant over

cheers all

A number of years ago I heard from an electronics shop owner that there was a mobile phone manufacturer who, when a mobile phone was returned for warranty issues would open them up, spray some water in there then send them back saying the problem was water damage and not covered by warranty... It is most likely just a story someone dreamed up, but sometimes when you hear stories like yours it makes you wonder whether something dodgy is happening.

It's hard to blame the manufacturer for something like this, just like cars you can buy a lemon sometimes. And when that happens, if there isn't a recall the car companies won't normally help. But the dealers often do help.

Cases like this, the tackle shop you bought it from should be going the extra mile if only for the moral, return business reason!!

Sucks I know, I'd just stay away from the tackle shop you bought it from. They obviously don't have customer service on theirs minds! :wacko:

If a reel gets dunked in salt water then washing it out with fresh water isn't the answer. BUT I have heard some bad reports of really poor service from a certain manufacturer lately. SOme of the problem seems to be turn around times which are long, if you dunked your reel it stands to reason you would want it serviced quickly. The only reel answer ( sorry bout that) is to learn to service your gear yourself, it isn't that hard, or find someone you trust to do it.

Matt

To be honest these are the kind of stories that make me quite content to forgo the warranty on Australian bought products and buy online. At least if something does go wrong I've only got myself to blame.

However if you are prepared to kick up a stink you might just get a decent result. There are statutory warranties to protect you as a consumer. These guarantees are set out in the Australian Consumer Law (Located in Schedule 2 of Volume 3 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010) - bit of a mouthful I know!

If you were to draft Daiwa a letter explaining when you purchased the reel, your maintenance routine and then specifically drew attention to the statutory guarantees contained within provisions 54 (Guarantee as to acceptable quality) and 55 (Guarantee as to fitness for any disclosed purpose) you might just scare them into giving you the service you deserved in the first place. Link to relevant provisions. Alternatively you could take it back to the place you bought it and seek your remedy through them as you also have an implied contract with them as supplier (as much as they might like to deny it).

ACCC Guide to writing letter of complaint

Hope you get it sorted,

Adam.

To be honest these are the kind of stories that make me quite content to forgo the warranty on Australian bought products and buy online. At least if something does go wrong I've only got myself to blame.

However if you are prepared to kick up a stink you might just get a decent result. There are statutory warranties to protect you as a consumer. These guarantees are set out in the Australian Consumer Law (Located in Schedule 2 of Volume 3 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010) - bit of a mouthful I know!

If you were to draft Daiwa a letter explaining when you purchased the reel, your maintenance routine and then specifically drew attention to the statutory guarantees contained within provisions 54 (Guarantee as to acceptable quality) and 55 (Guarantee as to fitness for any disclosed purpose) you might just scare them into giving you the service you deserved in the first place. Link to relevant provisions. Alternatively you could take it back to the place you bought it and seek your remedy through them as you also have an implied contract with them as supplier (as much as they might like to deny it).

Hope you get it sorted,

Adam.

Great info here Adam!

Sure a lot of folks are going to hang on to this for future reference, myself included.

Im with adam those letters can really get under the companies skin. They showed us some examples in school back a few years ago and nearly everyone we looked at the consumer won their money back, a voucher or most of their money. Good Luck whatever you choose to do though mate

cheers

You are not alone. I had the same response/excuse on a certate less than 12 months old that was sent back for "warranty".

I too had to wait 8 weeks. At least the tackle shop only charged me what it cost. ( ALL bearings, main gear and pinion gear. Not cheap either). I have other certates that are much older and have a-lot more use and are still sweet. If you do end up having the repair done, ask for the parts back that they replace for piece of mind.

So i guess you do get the odd lemon, but it seems to be more and more common these days.

Hope you can sort out a solution.

Edited by aquaman

If a reel gets dunked in salt water then washing it out with fresh water isn't the answer. BUT I have heard some bad reports of really poor service from a certain manufacturer lately. SOme of the problem seems to be turn around times which are long, if you dunked your reel it stands to reason you would want it serviced quickly. The only reel answer ( sorry bout that) is to learn to service your gear yourself, it isn't that hard, or find someone you trust to do it.

Matt

To be honest , I have to agree with Matt here.

I take my reels apart very 3 weeks or so, when I know salt has hit them fairly bad. Reels are fairly simple, spray on cooking olive oil then finished with simple vaseline works a treat...but first take them apart and soak in warm soapy water. I've dunked mine numerous times, mainly from me being a complete dick! but I can't help that :biggrin2:

Reels are designed to be taken apart :thumbup:

I guess it all turns on how you interpret what's happened here. The way I read it mtcolah hadn't dunked his reel in the salt he'd just been using it as it was intended to be used. Where he may have some trouble is with his chosen method of maintenance... specifically rinsing 'in' freshwater. I chose to take this as meaning he used fresh water to rinse the reel (arguably not the best way to do it but shouldn't void any guarantee), if he's actually gone ahead and dunked it in a bucket of fresh water then he may have some dramas. In future I'd stick to the soapy rag method.

Have to agree with purefishing service being good though, last time I had a drama they were only too happy to help and I had the part I needed within a few days.

Mtcolah

Shimano can't be beat on lower end to midrange range reel quality and pricing, not to say their higher end stuff is no good, but for me shimano stands out in that area.

Mtcolah I'm happy to donate my shimano Callisto baitcaster reel to you, it has a couple bumps and scratches, but still works fine, and it was serviced a few months ago. Iv since bought a new baitcaster and I'd rather pass it on to some one that will use it than stare at it for 5 years then throw it out.

If you want it, you can contact me on 0423 929 729, I use fishraider via my iPhone alot and I'm not sure how to access pm's, if u don't want it that's fine too, no offense taken, I know it's no curado....

Hey Mtcolah.

Not good at all considering its basically a new reel.

A question.(and suggestion)

You siad "really good rinse!"

Did you immerse the reel, or spray water from the hose on it under pressure.

Both sort of a general no no as it may result in water intrusion into the reels guts.

All that is really needed is a light fresh water spray (I use a hand held spray bottle) to clean off exterior salt.

Then a quick wipe down. Most reels at the $150 mark have a reasonable seal against salt/water intrusion.

If the reel has been immersed, no trusting this, open up to dry and follow manu recommendations to clean.

Also note try not to open the reel too often or unnessarily as the wear on screwheads and seals etc etc can mean painful replacement of those things.

Generally I find the time I open and maintanin my reels is at the start and finish of each summer.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Hope you get it sorted,

Adam.

Actually as a consumer there is no 'implication" of a contract between yourself and the retailer. By law it is the retailers responsibility to provide contractual warranty work or replacements under the "fit for use" rules you referred to. Common law has covered these requirements for centuries before specific legislation was created at state or federal levels.

I can't count the number of times retailers have attempted to pass their responsibilities off to manufacturers or distributors saying "the manufacturer won't allow me to replace your item" or similiar. My reply is that under the contract of sale the goods must be fit for purpose, if you choose source cheap rubbish from irreputable distributors then thats your business decision, not mine.

It usually gets traction for smaller items. Large ticket items like cars or boats you're better off targeting the manufacturer or distributor.

Actually as a consumer there is no 'implication" of a contract between yourself and the retailer. By law it is the retailers responsibility to provide contractual warranty work or replacements under the "fit for use" rules you referred to. Common law has covered these requirements for centuries before specific legislation was created at state or federal levels.

I can't count the number of times retailers have attempted to pass their responsibilities off to manufacturers or distributors saying "the manufacturer won't allow me to replace your item" or similiar. My reply is that under the contract of sale the goods must be fit for purpose, if you choose source cheap rubbish from irreputable distributors then thats your business decision, not mine.

It usually gets traction for smaller items. Large ticket items like cars or boats you're better off targeting the manufacturer or distributor.

I should have been more specific. No doubt the contract of sale is exists as b/w consumer and retailer, what I was getting at is that the guarantees are present either expressly (unlikely given the nature of most contract of sale for consumer products) or else impliedly by operation of law. mtcolah had already been in touch with the manufacturer and seemingly had his beef with them hence I explained his options to take it up with them. But as I alluded to (and you've picked up on) he is well within his rights to go against the retailer also.

But we digress! Onya rockfisherman, what a nice gesture!

Adam.

Mtcolah

Shimano can't be beat on lower end to midrange range reel quality and pricing, not to say their higher end stuff is no good, but for me shimano stands out in that area.

Mtcolah I'm happy to donate my shimano Callisto baitcaster reel to you, it has a couple bumps and scratches, but still works fine, and it was serviced a few months ago. Iv since bought a new baitcaster and I'd rather pass it on to some one that will use it than stare at it for 5 years then throw it out.

If you want it, you can contact me on 0423 929 729, I use fishraider via my iPhone alot and I'm not sure how to access pm's, if u don't want it that's fine too, no offense taken, I know it's no curado....

Nicely done mate! :clapping::clapping: At least he'll be able to fish whilst sorting the other issue out.

Cheers

Hodgey

Mtcolah

jeez im smiling!

Rockfisherman u legend

thanks for the very generous offer and id be happy to pay any costs

my son will be stoked

ive been putting him off for 2 months now to do some fishing

in reply to my cleaning method

well after each outing i would just run a cold tap over it /shake it off and then dry it off

as far as i know if i actually open it up warranty is voided

im just annoyed that its obviously so easy for salt to get right inside where i really thought would be a sealed unit

like i said my previous baitcaster lasted a good 5 years and probably several hundred outings and was treated the same way

it only stuffed up when i lent it to a mate and the thumb release broke and parts werent available

thanks so much for all your help guys

and really big thanks to Rockfisherman for his beautiful offer

ill send u a text

cheers

Mtcolah

Very good of you!!!! You deserve a beer! :1beer:

Mtcolah

If you need help using fishraider from your iphone let me know... i use it consistently everyday even when im out on site !!! just makes it easy !