Balmoral 2/6/11

rjc123

Hey guys,

managed to head out to balmoral today for a few hours before the weather hit. I fished with ganged pillies for a while only o have the pickers steal the bait. I tried to catch yakkas to not avail and then decided to use some little cubed bits of pillie. Straight away i bring in a 28cm tailor. Too small but a start. It then went quiet for a while until i had another crack at the yakkas. Burleyed hard with bread, oats, pillie and cat food. Soon after i caught a little specimen and popped him in the bucket for a while. Caught 3 more which were all stolen by a pesky bird next to the wharf. Cast the yakka out under a float and left it out for an hour or so. Meanwhile i still kept trying with the yakka rig and managed to hook a 26cm trevally. This bird was crazy, it went after my trevally when i threw him back and caught it only to funble the fish andit thankfully swam away :thumbup: Kept going with the yakka and something was scaring it. it was constently acting finnicky and the float went under for a second and then popped up. I picked up the rod and waited to see if it was still there but the bastard had gone with my yakka :1badmood: Packed up and headed for home afterwords. Others on the wharf also caught yakkas and tailor and bream. All undersize though. Good to see Balmooral has a few fish though. Can't wait to give it a go again soon!

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hey MA

Am staying in Cremorne on sat nite and am thinking of having a surfcast off middle head somewhere either sat evening or early sun am, ever fished there? Any tips appreciated.

Tony

A few good spots near middle head to chuck some lures around is the either headland of Clifton Gardens. You will get Tailor, Salmon, Bonito and maybe even a king if your lucky!

What about bream and flatties? These would be my preference, of course anything I get is always a bonus but you never know..Would prob bang out wide with the surf rod and try a few vibes and plastics on the tierra while I wait, fishing fairly light to maximise my opportunities. Would prefer the rocks, so thanks for the tips mate. Weather looks a bit better then 2 weekends ago, getting repeatedly nailed at Foster/Tuncurry trying for jews.. at least I got a nice 35cm bream in amongst the rubbish ..:)

What about bream and flatties? These would be my preference, of course anything I get is always a bonus but you never know..Would prob bang out wide with the surf rod and try a few vibes and plastics on the tierra while I wait, fishing fairly light to maximise my opportunities. Would prefer the rocks, so thanks for the tips mate. Weather looks a bit better then 2 weekends ago, getting repeatedly nailed at Foster/Tuncurry trying for jews.. at least I got a nice 35cm bream in amongst the rubbish ..:)

Mate, Clifton has heaps of Bream and Flatties. You can get em off the rocks with bits of pili. The by-catch is always good with Tailor, Jackets and A few snapper to 35cm if your lucky!