hairtail mission complete

pure spirit

Hi All

Went out yesterday mid morning from Bobbin head, head out to west head to get bait but could not be #%^$ putting up with the swell so spent a lovely couple of hours fishing in the basin, got one big sambo about 60cm(on a 4lb hand line that i was using to catch yakka) got the cuts in my fingers to match :thumbdown: . Caught heaps of under sized snapper and flatties but i was just nice and relaxing. About 2pm figured i should have a crack at something to take home try Barrenjoey and flint n steel with no luck so by 3.30ish headed to Jerusalem bay. As the sun set I picked up a nice little snapper around 40cm and a good flattie around 50cm plus another sambo (always fun on light bream gear.

About 6ish i set a hairtail rig on a heavy rod with a red glow stick in mid water and a middle weight setup on the bottom. Was about to change spot at around 7pm when the heavy rod went :thumbup: which resulted in my first hairtail, berleyed up more and started using a light beam rod with a unweighted pilly as well which i would cast let sink and repeat on my 3 or 4 cast hooked up boy did it give me a run for my money but landed it. Got two more on the light setup one thrown hook and the 2nd busted the line at the swivel just as i was trying to get it in the net :thumbdown: and a couple of hits but no hookup on the heavy mid water rod.

After that things went really quiet at about 930 headed to Waratah bay but only stayed there for a short time and headed home.

I know there are a few raiders after hair tail and I'm happy to shared the spot P.M if your interested.

THe light rig was set with two hooks (2ns hook sliding) on 20lb wire about 10cm long with a couple of fluro green and red beans on a beam rod this rig out fished the other two. All fish were caught on pillies

Neither are the biggest fish just over a metre but nice to tick them off this list... have invested more than a few cold nights chasing them so nice to be rewarded, ging to put them in the FOM and see if I'm lucky there as well.

post-16646-047154400 1307147267_thumb.jpg

post-16646-082337900 1307147873_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate! I went for them once in winter a few years back and it was the coldest I have EVER been in my life! Still, it would be nice to tick them off the list but not sure if I can stand the cold again!

Nice work mate! I went for them once in winter a few years back and it was the coldest I have EVER been in my life! Still, it would be nice to tick them off the list but not sure if I can stand the cold again!

Thanks, you'd be right just rug up.... having said that I had planned on spending the night out (as i did last year many times) but once I had fish in the boat and it went quiet I headed home for a nice warm bed and a hot meal. The secret for me is thermals and a couple of rums ! not always in that order which is also the bonus of dropping anchor and staying the night.

Hi All

Went out yesterday mid morning from Bobbin head, head out to west head to get bait but could not be #%^$ putting up with the swell so spent a lovely couple of hours fishing in the basin, got one big sambo about 60cm(on a 4lb hand line that i was using to catch yakka) got the cuts in my fingers to match :thumbdown: . Caught heaps of under sized snapper and flatties but i was just nice and relaxing. About 2pm figured i should have a crack at something to take home try Barrenjoey and flint n steel with no luck so by 3.30ish headed to Jerusalem bay. As the sun set I picked up a nice little snapper around 40cm and a good flattie around 50cm plus another sambo (always fun on light bream gear.

About 6ish i set a hairtail rig on a heavy rod with a red glow stick in mid water and a middle weight setup on the bottom. Was about to change spot at around 7pm when the heavy rod went :thumbup: which resulted in my first hairtail, berleyed up more and started using a light beam rod with a unweighted pilly as well which i would cast let sink and repeat on my 3 or 4 cast hooked up boy did it give me a run for my money but landed it. Got two more on the light setup one thrown hook and the 2nd busted the line at the swivel just as i was trying to get it in the net :thumbdown: and a couple of hits but no hookup on the heavy mid water rod.

After that things went really quiet at about 930 headed to Waratah bay but only stayed there for a short time and headed home.

I know there are a few raiders after hair tail and I'm happy to shared the spot P.M if your interested.

THe light rig was set with two hooks (2ns hook sliding) on 20lb wire about 10cm long with a couple of fluro green and red beans on a beam rod this rig out fished the other two. All fish were caught on pillies

Neither are the biggest fish just over a metre but nice to tick them off this list... have invested more than a few cold nights chasing them so nice to be rewarded, ging to put them in the FOM and see if I'm lucky there as well.

Great to tick another one off the list,seems to be a few in the system this year which is good to see.

Thermals and rum++++++ HAIRTAIL :yahoo::yahoo: .

chris