Flatties Galore

olitay

Hi Raiders, went out for some bread and butter fishing on Sunday.

We landed over 40 flatties within a few hrs, for every 3 undersize we managed a keeper. Ended up with 12 nice fish. BillF nabbed a nice 60cm job at 1.2Kg, but the rest were perfect for the table.

post-6621-004102500 1307316620_thumb.jpg

post-6621-045387900 1307316474_thumb.jpg

post-6621-065672300 1307316793_thumb.jpg

Winter time is a great time for offshore flatties, get amongst it!

Edited by BillyD

Nice work mate! I have never tried offshore for them and was wondering what it is you look for in terms of bottom structure? Someone told me head straight out the heads until in 40m of water and just drift... Otherwise are you after a sandy or gravel bottom?

Did you have any hassle with the jackets?

Nice haul of flathead BillyD :thumbup: you must have fished right into a flathead nest and stayed there - very handy to know where the nests are too as flathead become very territorial even at night and are genetically geared to attack anything that resembles a moving bait.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Is that photo with the fish.... the sink in the kitchen...i get told off all the time by the wife, i will tell her...see i am not the only one.

Cheers cg.

Hi George, mate, the wife made me build a kitchen sink in the garage!!!

Nice work mate! I have never tried offshore for them and was wondering what it is you look for in terms of bottom structure? Someone told me head straight out the heads until in 40m of water and just drift... Otherwise are you after a sandy or gravel bottom?

Did you have any hassle with the jackets?

Hey Dicko, the ground is quite baron actually, there is nothing much to look out for on the sounder. It seems to be mixed gravel and sand and the occasional rocky patch. We fish in the 30-45 mtr mark straight out the heads, so your info is spot on mate! we also catch the occasional snapper. There were no jackets at all! :thumbup:

Nice haul of flathead BillyD :thumbup: you must have fished right into a flathead nest and stayed there - very handy to know where the nests are too as flathead become very territorial even at night and are genetically geared to attack anything that resembles a moving bait.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hence why they are suckers for pretty much any thing that decides to drop in front of them...