Rod refurbishment

adkel53

I have just cut the guides off an old unsanded Snyder 4 wrap rod and rebound them, leaving the underbindings in place as they are still in good condition and have retained their colour well. I'd like to improve the rods appearance (just for the heck of it - I know it won't catch any more fish just because it looks better!!). It has plenty of superficial scratches from its years of catching mainly tailer, bream and salmon around the rocks. It is a fairly "sloppy" blank called a DB144 - made to order for an old tackle shop known as John Bruce sports which was located in the Cronulla area if my memory serves me correctly. I want to use it as a (heavy-ish) blackfish rod from the rocks - it bends a long way down towards the reel seat. Any ideas on what I can polish it with to improve its appearance. Car polish? Bees wax? Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kel

Hey mate,

If the rod is dirty you can give it some shine with a rag and a bit of polish.

But if the blank is actually scratched from the rocks the only way to improve the rod aesthetics (if you want to do it properly) is to provide a very thin coating of epoxy over the entire blank. You will need high quality epoxy, a steady hand and a rotissory to achieve the desired result.

I have done this once myself. It certainly looks nice but it took a lot of effort!

Andrew

Hey there.

I am not sure the apoxy will be flexable enough for what you are suggesting. Its good for bindings because the added rigidity of the rapped thread and the runner in that area means the rod will not bend that much just there. However in other areas i would think it will not handle the bending specailly at the tip end.

Have you thought about some kind of wax or maybe even a very fine cut and polish used on cars.

Cheers Kingpig

Hey there.

I am not sure the apoxy will be flexable enough for what you are suggesting. Its good for bindings because the added rigidity of the rapped thread and the runner in that area means the rod will not bend that much just there. However in other areas i would think it will not handle the bending specailly at the tip end.

Have you thought about some kind of wax or maybe even a very fine cut and polish used on cars.

Cheers Kingpig

The epoxy is what you use and it is flexible. The reason you lose a bit of flexibility in the rod at the location of runners is due to the presence of the rigid metal guide which has been fixed to the blank. Nothing to do with the epoxy.

You will find most of the top quality rods have a glosssy finish. That is the thin layer of epoxy i am referring to. The key is using a very thin layer which can only be achieved using the correct product.

The epoxy is what you use and it is flexible. The reason you lose a bit of flexibility in the rod at the location of runners is due to the presence of the rigid metal guide which has been fixed to the blank. Nothing to do with the epoxy.

You will find most of the top quality rods have a glosssy finish. That is the thin layer of epoxy i am referring to. The key is using a very thin layer which can only be achieved using the correct product.

most top end rods i repair or redo are finished in 2 pac clear or 2 pack clear with a flating base added for those carbon mat finnish .you dont need 2 pac to do a good job ,full epoxy rod coat even thin will add unwanted weight ,for your best backyard rebuilds use a can of gloss spray .cost you 10 dollars and do 50 rods ,set the rod on what ever you use to turn it and one light and evan spray ,to much product will chip scratch easy stay semi soft .thin will stay hard .if you want the best and have a mate that is a spray painter get him to take to his shop and do it in 2 pac ,or you can buy from USA very high quilty clear paint in a spray can ,go to alsa web site and have a look ,crome finish you rod out of a can of spray ,too many specail efects in a spray can to list .

Thanks for the advice. Definitely too much trouble to be putting epoxy all over the rod. Might experiment with a car polish on a small part of the blank. Otherwise ,I'll leave it's battle scars in place - it will still catch fish 30 years after I constructed it!

Kel