Is it possible to breed blood worms?

andrew399

Ok so just watched the local knowledge dvd for the 100th time and Im a little intrigued about the whiting fisho that has a tank full of blood worms that he claims to breed. I reckon blood worms are the best bait for bread and butter species but they are pretty pricey at nearly $1.50 a pop. I have a few spare aquarium tanks around and am keen to give it a go but my research tells me that the real blood worm is some type of mosquito larvae or something so you need to have space for the adult insects to fly around and mate etc. Not keen on this at all. But the true blood worm is only an inch or so long. So my research led me to believe that perhaps the 'blood worms' we use for bait are actually 'black worms'?? These are a real worm so to speak... Anyways if any one has tried this or has any tips on where to even start Id be interested to hear what you have to say.

Ok so just watched the local knowledge dvd for the 100th time and Im a little intrigued about the whiting fisho that has a tank full of blood worms that he claims to breed. I reckon blood worms are the best bait for bread and butter species but they are pretty pricey at nearly $1.50 a pop. I have a few spare aquarium tanks around and am keen to give it a go but my research tells me that the real blood worm is some type of mosquito larvae or something so you need to have space for the adult insects to fly around and mate etc. Not keen on this at all. But the true blood worm is only an inch or so long. So my research led me to believe that perhaps the 'blood worms' we use for bait are actually 'black worms'?? These are a real worm so to speak... Anyways if any one has tried this or has any tips on where to even start Id be interested to hear what you have to say.

alot of money and time has been thrown at breeding them by many, they know if you get it right your a rich man ,blood worm supply that dose not rely on tides weather and human labour to dig , you could not keep up with the demand ,

haha true! not looking to sell them though, just for my own trips.

Zook- the warm water does not worry me, have a heated tank which i can set the temp on. Special chemicals/food! Not really looking at getting into it at that level, they are carnivores so surely any fish scraps would do for feed. Just wondering how to get started really - can i just purchase some live worms and chuck them in the tank? How do i get the breeding process happening?

haha true! not looking to sell them though, just for my own trips.

Zook- the warm water does not worry me, have a heated tank which i can set the temp on. Special chemicals/food! Not really looking at getting into it at that level, they are carnivores so surely any fish scraps would do for feed. Just wondering how to get started really - can i just purchase some live worms and chuck them in the tank? How do i get the breeding process happening?

you wont ,air temp water temp ,rise and fall of the water thru there envorment,time between the rise and fall tide ,time of year may be the moon ,Ive keeped them alive for 6 to 8 weeks with bio balls as part of my filtering systems and 200 lts of water draing thru shallow stanless trays, they lose condition each day ,very hard to keep in a condition as they would be in the wild ,if you can get this right you may stand a chance of fluking a breading cycle , the worms at aquabait are tube worms not as good as blood worms,not even close

yeah i saw that tubeworm thing, they still look pretty good, nice and fat. How easy are they to breed, and how do i get started? I was thinking it will pbe pretty unsustainable anyway. At worst I would be using 40 a month, they take 12 months to reach maturity so I would need like 200 in the tank at the time. Might just stuck to buying them!

yeah i saw that tubeworm thing, they still look pretty good, nice and fat. How easy are they to breed, and how do i get started? I was thinking it will pbe pretty unsustainable anyway. At worst I would be using 40 a month, they take 12 months to reach maturity so I would need like 200 in the tank at the time. Might just stuck to buying them!

you can dig your blood worms for the summer months plenty of spots, will keep for 2 weeks if you put a bit of effort in ,for the colder months when you dont get much movement out of blood worms get squirt worms in the sand flats ,best spots is where there is a fresh water run off in to saltwater work the southen side of that sort of area.