Feedback on VE Commodore *got it*

Catchin Jack

Looking at buying an 08 commodore omega with low km's.

Really like the car but if anyone has any feedback on them I'd like to hear it. Especially if you own one or driven them or fixed them.

Only facts please, no personal views.

Hi I am a motor mechanic the ve is holdens biggest stuff up stay clear of it heap of crap facts- BLOWN HEADS,TIMING CHAINS,ELECTRONICS NEVER ENDING,we are talking big bucks to fix

Cheers Jewieslayer

Dude, seriously, i used to be a hardcore holden man, you may aswell play the pokies mate, the amount of stuff that went wrong with my brand new VY in the 1st 3-4 years was unbelievable! i contemplated going over to ford but my best mate who happens to be a ford lover was honest enough to tell me that they are just as bad if not worse. Nowadays its Toyota all the way. Im sorry Aussie manufacturers i so want to support you guys but its like chalk and cheese. Besides that the resale value is almost negligable. They do look good though. One thing i have noticed in regards to Holdens is go for a series 2 or above. They seem to have less issues as they are ironed out by then. If you buy the 1st batch like I have always done its issue central.

Musty

Mr Silverbike is a tech rep and has driven one for a while, this is his opinion - useless computer system, worst A-pillar blind spots in any car he's ever driven, never ending electric problems, so-so handling....

unfortunately once he started he got onto how his 30 year old ute is a better vehicle, and that was the end of the discussion....

Dude, seriously, i used to be a hardcore holden man, you may aswell play the pokies mate, the amount of stuff that went wrong with my brand new VY in the 1st 3-4 years was unbelievable! i contemplated going over to ford but my best mate who happens to be a ford lover was honest enough to tell me that they are just as bad if not worse. Nowadays its Toyota all the way. Im sorry Aussie manufacturers i so want to support you guys but its like chalk and cheese. Besides that the resale value is almost negligable. They do look good though. One thing i have noticed in regards to Holdens is go for a series 2 or above. They seem to have less issues as they are ironed out by then. If you buy the 1st batch like I have always done its issue central.

Musty

+1 for series II

If I can recall, there were issues with early VX/VY models, I can't remember exactly but it was something on lines of wrong ring sizes in there... something major.

having said that, I drive a VYIISE and it is perfectly fine. I do all the work myself at home, it's a good car for value if you buy 2nd hand.

No idea about VE's tho sorry.

In relation to series 2 usually having most of the issues sorted, I would usually agree. How ever when talking ve bear in mind,

Holden traditionally introduces a new engine in the last of a series before introducing a new chassis. Eg:

Vs saw the introduction of the Aussie developed ecotec engine which replaced the.Buick derived engine used from vn to vr. Ecotec paved the way for the introduction of the vt chassis in 97. And the alloytec engine which arrived in mid 04 which led the way for the ve chassis in 06. Alloytec was replaced in 2010 with sidi.

My point is that alloytec has been very problematic in vz configuration and as mentioned in previous posts has also proven problematic in ve. Ve effectively being series 2 as far as alloytec is concerened.

Holden have recently ventured into ve series 2 carrying on the tradtion of introduction a new motor (sidi) late in a series life before introducing a new chassis.

Will ve 2 resolve all the issues of ve 1? Time will tell...

Edited by Cheap Charlie

I've got an '09 VE (SV6) and racked up about 50K's since new... so far i cant fault it.

Only problem i've had is a bad batch of fuel causing the timing to be out (error msg on dash)and gone through a set of tyres (maybe my driving style...lol);

My previous cars were 4cyl and this is my first large car... the SV6 has a few blind spots, namely big A pillar and the rear spoiler (sedan) blocks almost everything out the back window (makes it difficult to reverse a low empty boat trailer); I'm averaging 10.5-12L/100K's.

Other than that, it's been a comfy crusier & tows my boat really well... :biggrin2:

I have a VE Maloo. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Great for touring. great for towing. Vehicle has now done 85,000km and I have had no problems. At present I thinking about buying another one.

You can find problems with any model of car if you ask enough people. Look at the sale figures and how many you see on the road. This should tell you something.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I took it onboard and ended up looking at a Ford ES as well ('08) but wasn't real impressed with it.

I took the car I was looking at for a drive and went to 2 different mechanics and a panel beater that I knew and got them to go over it and all came back with thumbs up.

Well I ended up buying it and drove it home last night, drives well and fuel is good.

**start rant** The only issue I had was the bank stuffing me about and after some anger issues and causing scenes they couldn't give me the money fast enough. I put a BANK cheque in and paid $15 for fast clearance and was told that at 2pm the next day I could access the funds and they would call me to let me know it was ready. Well.......it came 2pm, nothing, then 3pm nothing, and nothing a 3.30pm and this is when I exploded and gave them what for. After I got the money sorted I got a phone call 2hrs later to let me know the funds were ready, well the caller got a mouthful as well.

As a result i'm closing ALL accounts and going to a credit union, the banks promise everything and give nothing, but they love fees, and getting fatter. **end rant**

All, my wife has a VE 60th Anniversary purchased Aug 2008, now done 48000kms still on the same 18" tyres - ( not for long)and has never missed a beat. Serviced as per log books and never an issue with this car. Admittedly they have a bitch of a blind spot but hey, nothings perfect. I had FE2 (SV6) springs fitted to the car when we bought it and that just ties the whole thing down nicely. Would definately recommend the VE - I work with Ford so I can make the comparison - and Holdens don't rust!! Not the most economical, about the same as my Pajero actually, but if you want economy buy a Yaris. Go figure.

Tuffy

Edited by Tuffy

I have a VE SV6. Had it from new and just over 12 months, done 35000kms and no complaints so far. Sure it doesn't have the same get up and go as the wrx I had to get rid of, but then again, the wrx couldn't tow the boat so something had to give. Only one issue so far, the rear tyres dont seem to last... then again, that's probably more to do with my driving style than the car. The tyres on the wrx didn't last too long either! :D

holdens quality over the years has diminished,iv got a VU holden ute which I had to completely rebuild, motor box and diff and had to be beefed up for my driving but now doesnt miss a beat and has been flogged bouncing on redline for years lol, good choice with the ford mate :thumbup: