Lane Cove River

Went out on the Lane Cove yesterday with the thought of chasing some spawning bass. But that didn't work at all. Couldn't find anything schooling up on the fishfinder so decided to have a flick around for some Bream and flatties and try out the new daiwa Gekkabijin.

Tides weren't ideal but we were just out there for a bit of fun. Started off well on the flats with one nice flattie. Moved down towards the fresh and picked up a small bream. Tried for bass with no success, then moved back to figtree bridge where we picked up 3 more flatties.

Then pumped a few yabbies and then it became a whiting a cast. Think we picked up 15. All just under legal though.

We also picked up this guy? Is this a herring

post-17998-093567000 1307750803_thumb.jpg

Gekkabijin Review:

I was a little hesitant to buy one of these initially, simply because of cost. $20 is a little extreme for an estuary lure. BUt after yesterday I'll be buying a few more. I fished with the Vibe, while my mate used sliders, and gulps.

I landed 5 on the vibe, while he only managed the one flattie on a slider.

The vibe was amazing but it was very interesting to note, that every hook up I got was on the drop. I had almost let the rod go slack and bang, I was on with the first wind of the handle. Didn't even need to strike. I did miss one or two, while the slider missed heaps.

All in all a great lure however does fall apart once you land it in the tree.

Here is the bream.

post-17998-089336800 1307751039_thumb.jpg

Interesting report Kurt.

The fish appears to be a Silver Biddy ... an unfortunate fish that finds itself on the menu of a lot of predatory estuary fish :biggrin2:

I have found a lot of success on vibes comes from either 'the drop' or whilst it is lying on the bottom. Regardless of how you catch them, bream on lures is very entertaining, especially in rugged terrain. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

There are heaps of places. Best to go upstream of the Bridge at low tide, pull your boat up on one of the mud/sand banks and pump away..

Be careful not to take any with eggs, as they are breeding at the moment,

Sydney Harbour is an IPA

Check out what it says in the Sydney Harbour/Northern Beaches Recreation Fishing Guide

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/329319/Sydney-Harbour-and-Northern-Beaches-Recreational-Fishing-Guide.pdf

Page 6.

The entire shoreline of Sydney Harbour and its tributaries, including the Parramatta and Lane Cove Rivers and Middle Harbour, is also an IPA, excluding the shoreline of North Harbour from Manly Point to the southern end of Forty Baskets Beach (Figure 1).

All IPAs extend from the mean high water mark to 10 m seaward from the mean low water mark.

Collecting seashore animals is prohibited in IPAs. This includes crabs, snails, worms, cunjevoi, octopus, sea urchins, anemones, pipis, cockles, mussels, oysters and saltwater pink nippers (yabbies). Line fishing is allowed in IPAs but you must bring your own bait.

The excuse "i didn't know" doesn't wash with Fisheries, it's up to each individual to make sure they know the rules etc, like any other licence, you're expected to know the rules and abide by them.

Always keep up to date with changes and any current laws.

So basically you can't pump nippers from lane cove?

But in general a mud flat at low tide and pump away and hopefully some nippers?

Thanks for the tips guys

The answer is NO.

Not even at low tide

All IPAs extend from the mean high water mark to 10m seaward from the mean low water mark.

The answer is NO.

Not even at low tide

All IPAs extend from the mean high water mark to 10m seaward from the mean low water mark.

Not in Sydney Harbour or any waterway that runs into it. Parts of Botany bay and some other

areas are okay. Dont forget to look for the nippers little tell tale holes in the sand, that

is where you place your pump.

cheers