GPS maps

AndrewNR

Hi, just bought my first gps unit for marine. Just want to know if it's worth the map upgrade or to buy a gps book and put in the marks manually. It's a hummingbird and I only fish around Sydney. Any tips on this would be appreciated. Thanks Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I have a Navman GPS unit and i don't have a map card.I got my marks from friends and off the web and the unit has a very basic map in it, so it meets my needs. However, if you are doing a lot of prospecting which i am doing now i think a good chart will help as it gives you a good idea of the grounds you are on or around(depths etc.). If you are just going to known marks then i dont think you need one. Saying that, the more you get out there and fish, the more you will want one. I will be buying one for mine as soon as i can afford it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi, what sort of fishing are you doing?

My unit came with a navionics gold card and I must say it's great. I find the highly detailed contour lines and marks etc very useful in picking some locations which could hold fish, and also in general navigation, but obviously it all depends on what information you need.

Andrew,

The detail on the maps is invaluable, especially if doing a bit of prospecting.

Contours show anomalies and rapid depth changes.

Colours show deep water against bommies or islands. Makes it all so much easier.

If you travel with your boat at all you will realise and recoup the cost of the chart in no time and your fishing experience will be more enjoyable to boot.

Cheers

Marlin01

I was in your position once before I thought to myself, where do I ever go, Sydney harbour, Botany bay and Port Hacking, so I decided to just get the sounder. What I did find funny tho is I had a look on the gps on my phone and it comes up with a basic style map. It is more than enough for me.

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. I AM TAKING OUT THE BOAT THIS WEEKEND AND WILL HAVE A LOOK AROUND WITH THE GPS/SOUNDER. I SUPPOSE I WILL USE IT A FEW TIMES AND DECIDE IF I NEED TO SPEND THE CASH ON THE UPGRADEDE MAPS FROM NAVIONICS OR SUCH. THANKS AGAIN.

ANDREW.