Breaming Hawkesbury Super Series

gibodfisho

On the long weekend there was an Abt Super Series on the Hawkesbury River. There was a good field of 30 odd boats with some of the best breamers in the country and then there was me. With a little determination and some luck I stuck it out in the consistently worst weather I have fished in and finished 4th picking up $1100. The Iceman who was in an online tipping comp to pick the top five place getters in the boater and non boater division picked me to finish 4th. I just like to say thanks Andrew for backing a fellow fishraider and bream angler, and it was a bit of a buzz to see my name picked. Just next time for the grand final pick me as number 1 Nostradamas.

Cheers Dave

On the long weekend there was an Abt Super Series on the Hawkesbury River. There was a good field of 30 odd boats with some of the best breamers in the country and then there was me. With a little determination and some luck I stuck it out in the consistently worst weather I have fished in and finished 4th picking up $1100. The Iceman who was in an online tipping comp to pick the top five place getters in the boater and non boater division picked me to finish 4th. I just like to say thanks Andrew for backing a fellow fishraider and bream angler, and it was a bit of a buzz to see my name picked. Just next time for the grand final pick me as number 1 Nostradamas.

Cheers Dave

:074: There will be a fee for picking you at first Dave

Top work mate :thumbup:

Did you fish the upper reachers for that bag or was there too much fresh in the system?

cheers

pete

All my fish caught east of Brooklyn on Chubbies. If you want a blow by blow report I will tell anyone who will listen. :074:

Cheers Dave

I did try and warn you so here goes.

Thursady. Pre-fish up at 4.30am left at 2pm totally down and depressed. Caught 1 bream all day.

Briefing had a attitude adjuster and good chat with some good blokes. Drew 2 high profile non boaters, hopefully they can crack a pattern If I can't.

Friday. Up at 5am. Splash $85 in the boat. Tell Bernard we are going to run and gun up river.Pittwater 0. Rockwall 0. Rack 1. Bernard gets good fish on of all things ZX blade. He gets smoked twice more and and I can't get a hit cranking a deep chubby.Finally get a good fish and then another straight away Brown Dog colour. Rework rack 0. Rack 2. Small fish decide to leave then pick up solid fish on way out. Still decide to go upriver to Berowra more out of desperation than anything.Berowra hulls,pontoons,washboards,racks all 0. Back to Rack 1. Tide is way up difficult to see the individual poles but fluke my 4th fish almost straight away. Bernard gets smoked again. Flog water to a foam but can't get number 5.Starting to worry reworking the rack is shutting it down. Relizing we are going to be late punish boat and us back to Pittwater.We are soaked.Weigh in 2.54kg docked back to 2.44kg for being late. Sitting in 9th overall.

Saturday. Feeling a lot better and with a simple plan to head back to Rack 1. Up at 5 again and anothe $85 of fuel. Get to rack 1. Tide is still up 0. Rack 2 0. Go searching 0 + loose Brown Dog lure. Phil asks what about this rack, why not I say. Tie on a favourite of mine a yellow cricket pattern. 1 fish for Phil and 3 for me. Leave rack 3. Rack 4 just legal fish fish. Back to rack 1 for 0 and really worried I am flogging the racks to hard and it will all shut down, also get smoked and loose yellow lure. Back to rack 3 and get 2 fish quickly while Phil pulls hooks. This gives me a small up grade 25.2cm -25.5cm. Starting to think I will qualify fot the top ten but still worry aboaut overworking the fish. Head back happy at a much slower pace but still get wet. Weigh just over 2kg and sit in 7th qualifying for the final day.

Sunday Up at 4.45am for earlier start.Boat takes only $71. Fish on my own straight back to the racks. Rack 4 small fish and a luderick. Get done by a small fish by relaxing when I saw how small it was :ranting2: Rack 1 0. Go searching and pick up first fish on some broken down racks that were a bit shallow yesterday. This gives me confidence in starting to know how the tide works in the bay. Go to rack 3. 3 good fish and pressure is off

and its only 10.30am. Back to rack 1 just to rest rack 3 0. Back to rack 3 Biggest fish for the day and thats five :yahoo: Have been using more and more natural colored Chubbys to keep bite going. Upgrade a 27cm for 28cm then another small upgrade. Start going for broke casting way deep into racks and poles etc. Get smoked and loose lure. Leave and fish a deep shoreline basically trying for huge fish 0. Back to Pittwater fish flats it is seriously blowing 25knots due south. I am sitting down cranking a hard body cause its thats rough and cold. Did I mention it had teamed down all morning. So when I busted lure off I packed it in. Heading back I thought I had about 3kgs and I might move up to 5th which qualifys for the Grand Final in Forster. With 3.67kg it shot me up to 4th with the biggest bag for the day. Cold but real happy and with my young family down to watch it was even better.

There you go BreamBucket :wacko:

Cheers Dave

Tackle used Shimano Rack Raiders, Daiwa Tierra reels, Sunline Castaway braid and Rockfish 8pnd Leader.

I was only tin Boat in the top 10. Winner was in a Polycraft :biggrin2:

Mate that was great :thumbup:

I have seen blokes fish right at the back of racks and thought they were crazy untill i seen them pull in a 1kg fish by skull dragging it on the surface :1yikes: lol they were using 20lb mono leader!

Will you be fishing the 2 day sussex inlet abt qualifer at the start of july? ill be fishing that with my uncle

Top effort once again mate!!

Pete

Mate that was great :thumbup:

I have seen blokes fish right at the back of racks and thought they were crazy untill i seen them pull in a 1kg fish by skull dragging it on the surface :1yikes: lol they were using 20lb mono leader!

Will you be fishing the 2 day sussex inlet abt qualifer at the start of july? ill be fishing that with my uncle

Top effort once again mate!!

Pete

No worries

Would love to fish Sussex as never fished there before, but no chance, to many up coming things.

Good luck, take plenty of blades and use the light leaders you have mentioned in your posts, and make them long at least 3.5m. If you are using a leader knot that causes a drama with this let me know and I will help u out.

cheers Dave

No worries

Would love to fish Sussex as never fished there before, but no chance, to many up coming things.

Good luck, take plenty of blades and use the light leaders you have mentioned in your posts, and make them long at least 3.5m. If you are using a leader knot that causes a drama with this let me know and I will help u out.

cheers Dave

No dramas mate! i normally use 3 out streatched arm lengths thats around 4m ;)i find it gives you a little more shock absorbing especially with the lighter leadder, and im goin to make a big batch of my blades soo so i think ill be alright in that department :thumbup:

For leadder knots i use an improved albright but im interested in learning more if your willing to share

Cheers mate

Pete

No dramas mate! i normally use 3 out streatched arm lengths thats around 4m ;)i find it gives you a little more shock absorbing especially with the lighter leadder, and im goin to make a big batch of my blades soo so i think ill be alright in that department :thumbup:

For leadder knots i use an improved albright but im interested in learning more if your willing to share

Cheers mate

Pete

Sounds like you have your leaders pretty well sussed out, but try the slim beauty knot.Basically u are just using a double granny knot in the leader to grab the braid instead of doubling it over.

With your blades are u using DO-IT molds? If so how do u paint them, the ones I have done look ordinary,and have not caught a legal fish yet.