Carbontex drag washers

PM79

I've been in hibernation and haven't fished in quite a while, went into hibernation on here also, and in preparation for coming fishing session I decided to give my reels a service.

I've been wanting to get some Carbontex drag washers for some time, but I have no idea where to buy them or what ones I need.

I am currently using a Shimano Exage 4000FA and a Shimano Exage 6000FA.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by reLapse

I've been in hibernation and haven't fished in quite a while, went into hibernation on here also, and in preparation for coming fishing session I decided to give my reels a service.

I've been wanting to get some Carbontex drag washers for some time, but I have no idea where to buy them or what ones I need.

I am currently using a Shimano Exage 4000FA and a Shimano Exage 6000FA.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

You'd be best off going to shimano.

You could go thru a tackle store but it might cost a little more...

Hi ReLapse,

I get all my Carbontex washers from Smooth Drag in the USA. Sad to say but better prices, more comprehensive range, better service and faster delivery than anywhere you'll find locally.

Cheers, Slinky

+1 on that....Dawn is great to deal with

If you happen to be travelling through Singapore (or know anyone that is), Sabre Tackle on Beach Road stock a complete range of Smoooooth Drag washers for about 9.5 SGD (about $7 AUD).

...mal

Hi ReLapse,

I get all my Carbontex washers from Smooth Drag in the USA. Sad to say but better prices, more comprehensive range, better service and faster delivery than anywhere you'll find locally.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks mate though after looking at their site I am still at a loss to which ones I need.

Edited by reLapse

Thanks mate though after looking at their site I am still at a loss to which ones I need.

G'day Relapse,

For any reel models not listed, all you need to do is to measure the existing drag washers. You'll need an accurate measurement of the inside diameter (diameter of the hole), outside diameter and the thickness. The best way is using a set of digital calipers which you can pick up cheap from any auto store.

Many Shimano reels share drag washers so you'll probably find that washers to suit are readily available. I've attached a list of carbontex washers that Smooth Drag have as stock items.

Carbontex_washer_sizes.pdf

Cheers, Slinky

Orange Seal bearings are good but:

Abec 7 bearings are overkill for some applications and reels. For bearings that influence casting distance, ABEC 7 bearings will make a positive difference. For other bearings, ABEC 5 bearings are fine. Much less expensive and still a lot better than the standard bearings in a lot of reels.

Ceramics are another kettle of fish with good and bad points. I use ABEC 7 ceramic hybrids (ceramic balls, stainless steel races) in all my baitcasters as spool bearings. They increase casting distance a lot because they have less inertia due to the lighter material. They're corrosion resistant (but not corrosion proof). BUT they're more expensive and also noisier than stainless bearings. Put your first set into a baitcaster and you'll hear the difference every time you cast. I love them but then again I love tinkering.

Shimano AR-B bearings are IMHO the best bearings included standard in any reel off the shelf (at least from the major manufacturers). I wouldn't swap them out unless they're worn or damaged. And then, in a spin reel I'd be happy with ABEC 5 bearings unless I was putting them in a Stella or similar.

Cheers, Slinky