First Luderick(s!)

chriseels2010

Hi fishraiders, my name is Chris and this is my first report, although I've been lurking these forums for some time now

Went out this morning to Clovelly and Gordons Bay to try catch myself my first luderick. A bit windy but who cares

Gathered some fresh weed off the rocks, the amount of weed has definitely reduced since summer, its very hard to find (especially in the dark haha). Set up my rig based off the advice in the sticky thread (awesome advice Roberta , thanks) and off I go.

First couple of casts nothing, then bam, end up with a nice 30 cm blackie, my first ever! About ten minutes later caught another at 30cm. I'm a pro! Missed the strike on one or two more, then ran out of weed. Switched over to pillies and caught a nice 31cm Bream but I threw him back since i already had a feed. Called it a day after that.

Just filleted them 20 mins ago and they look really good, although they smell quite a bit. Kinda made me dizzy. Overall, a great start to the day and a fish that i can tick off!

post-16697-092345900 1308530814_thumb.jpg

Hi fishraiders, my name is Chris and this is my first report, although I've been lurking these forums for some time now

Went out this morning to Clovelly and Gordons Bay to try catch myself my first luderick. A bit windy but who cares

Gathered some fresh weed off the rocks, the amount of weed has definitely reduced since summer, its very hard to find (especially in the dark haha). Set up my rig based off the advice in the sticky thread (awesome advice Roberta , thanks) and off I go.

First couple of casts nothing, then bam, end up with a nice 30 cm blackie, my first ever! About ten minutes later caught another at 30cm. I'm a pro! Missed the strike on one or two more, then ran out of weed. Switched over to pillies and caught a nice 31cm Bream but I threw him back since i already had a feed. Called it a day after that.

Just filleted them 20 mins ago and they look really good, although they smell quite a bit. Kinda made me dizzy. Overall, a great start to the day and a fish that i can tick off!

Nice, make sure to scrape out black gut lining

Nice couple of blackies there for your first go & you know,from now

on you will be addicted for fishing for them & being a newy to the art

of blackfishing there a few guys on here that will give you expert

advice.

Scrubby

Hey Chris,

im new to the old blackfish fishing to, went a couple times last weekend and then this arvo, and the fishing has been awesome! ive landed ten so far in 3 sessionsand lost a few more through inexperience, biggest over 2lb and 43cm. put up an epic fight on light gear. anyways, if you fancy going sometime let us know, im loving it.

oh yeah, and did you catch those fish at night?

post-19135-036711100 1308556860_thumb.jpg

post-19135-016460400 1308556876_thumb.jpg

Edited by gilbey

Always bleed your blackfish either when you catch them or keep them alive before you are going to clean them, then bleed them first.

I dont even scale them. Fillet and skin them the scales on makes this easier.

Just my thoughts and man i have caught lots and lots of blackfish. And enjoyed many many meals of white sweet blackfish fillets. YUMMMMYYY

Cheers

Kingpig

Just filleted them 20 mins ago and they look really good, although they smell quite a bit. Kinda made me dizzy.

Strange. Did you keep them alive up to the time you killed and cleaned them? The pics show a pinkish tone on the fins and stomach - may be just the photo. They shouldn't smell at all if you kept them alive in a net. If you left them in a bucket, dead for some time though, then that could account for the smell etc. The stomach and gills start rotting almost immediately on death and the fish spoils from the inside out. I bought a blackfish once and was surprised to see that it hadn't been gutted, although it was on ice in the shop. Well, it was disgusting in comparison to a well kept and filleted fish. Might be a lesson for you, if you did indeed let the fish die and lie for some time before cleaning. Lots to learn and you will pick it up quickly.

Gilbey: I caught them in the morning, also went this morning with little luck only a just legal blackie which I threw back. I'll definitely keep your offer for a fish on the cards, thanks mate, your blackie goes extremely well.

I kept them alive in my bucket, though, by the end of the session they were nearing the end. I guess i'll bleed them out as I catch them from now on, it'll be a more humane death aswell. Whilst the smell was bad, they tasted good - nice white flesh, but since I did not bleed them they had some blood in the flesh.

Thanks for all the replys everyone, look forward to more blackfishing soon.

I guess i'll bleed them out as I catch them from now on,

You shouldn't bleed them until you are ready to go home. Get a keeper net to put them in. Cut their throat, let them bleed for a few minutes, clean, fillet, skin and pack. :)