PFD's

samboy

Gday Raiders,

After a bit of advice in regards to PFDs. We are in need of a few new ones seeing as though the ones we have a probably nearing the end of their reliability. Was looking around on a number of different sites and I see these ones for about 20bucks each.PFD Type 1, for 60kg and over, chest size 102-157cm, Aust standard AS1512 Certified

post-15444-071116900 1308739126_thumb.jpg

Then on another site saw these ones for something like 70bucks each. Skimaster Mk2 PFD Blue - Level 50S, Adult L (also Aus standard)

post-15444-024645600 1308739176_thumb.jpg

Can we go with the cheaper ones, or in this case will I get what I pay for so to speak?

Cheers

Sam

Hi,

Whats your requirements do you need the life jackets to meet?

Are they purely to have in the front of the boat to meet water ways regulations and use in emergency?

or

Will each person in the boat be wearing one whilst in the boat?

My thoughts are that they all will for fill there main purpose - keeping you afloat..

If you are wearing them for extended periods of time then comfort will be on your priority list..

plus there is always the argument, can you put a price on safety...

Hey mate I've seen a few jackets tested in a wet drill sea survival session and trust me you want one which keeps your heap up and doesn't let you roll face down.

If you're willing to spend 70 bucks go for some of the manually inflatable ones. I've personally tested the hutchwilco ones (which were 70 for me a few months ago) and they worked perfectly.

Just remember that even if you are only fishing enclosed waters you may as well spend the extra $ on such vital safety equipment. After all I remember reading about some fishermen stuck in botany bay for quite a few hours and were lucky enough to find a marker to hang onto. In the end what's $50 bucks extra when it comes to your life, or the lives of your crew.

Hi Sam, the first ones are life jackets and will be ok for close inshore boating. The second ones are buoncy vest and not life jackets and are only suitable for skiers etc.

When purchasing life jackets don't look at the price get ones that are suitable for what you are doing. What's your life or the life of one of your passengers worth????

Regards Jeff.

Hi, the top ones are PFD1s and you need one of these for each person in the boat. Yes that style are cheap and we stock them too, but they are big and bulky and not good to wear all the time, so if you have to cross a bar, are in a boat under 4.8M by yourself or have kids, spend the extra money and get an inflatable jacket for the adults and a proper PFD! jacket for the kids. Both of these are around the $80-$100 mark. As for the second picture, as the guys have mentioned it is not legal to have these are your floatation devises as they are PFD2's and are intended for water sports only.

We have good prices on inflatable and kids jackets at present, so PM me if you would like the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.

When I bought my boat last year I got 5 of the bulky red ones included as basic equipment, but I shelled out some extra $$$ and got 2 manual inflating type 1's for the missus and I as they are far more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

They're basically a collapsed strip with a pull cord and gas tank, weight next to nothing and sit around your neck and over your shoulders with a webbing strap that goes around your waist. I'd recommend them. As I said, their very comfortable but I wouldn't recommend them for kids, you still need the presence of mind to inflate them if you hit the water.

And you have just raised the perennial argument: the inflatable ones are more comfortable but what if you hit your head on the way into the water as a few people have done recently? Then you should get the automatically inflating type. And what about maintenance of those? I guess we all have to exercise our own judgement.

Gday Raiders,

After a bit of advice in regards to PFDs. We are in need of a few new ones seeing as though the ones we have a probably nearing the end of their reliability. Was looking around on a number of different sites and I see these ones for about 20bucks each.PFD Type 1, for 60kg and over, chest size 102-157cm, Aust standard AS1512 Certified

post-15444-071116900 1308739126_thumb.jpg

Then on another site saw these ones for something like 70bucks each. Skimaster Mk2 PFD Blue - Level 50S, Adult L (also Aus standard)

post-15444-024645600 1308739176_thumb.jpg

Can we go with the cheaper ones, or in this case will I get what I pay for so to speak?

Cheers

Sam

i got two like the second ones in the pic but the only differance is that they have the neck thing

they are pfd 1s

really super comfy and only 50 bucks each from ***

was going to get the inflateables but as mentioned above they still have flaws

really happy with the ones i got and flawless