Decent hairy!

mimyo

Went to wb last night and we got 14 hairtail, average size of them was 120cm but the biggest went 150cm which put up a good account of itself on a handline. I was stoked, the last time i got one that big was 5 years ago! All fish were taken on gangs and pillys.

post-2325-078258400 1309522120_thumb.jpg

Edited by mimyo

Went to wb last night and we got 14 hairtail, average size of them was 120cm but the biggest went 150cm which put up a good account of itself on a handline. I was stoked, the last time i got one that big was 5 years ago! All fish were taken on gangs and pillys.

that 150 is a great size, most of the "larger" ones I've heard of (me inc) only went 120. well done, many boats out ?

that 150 is a great size, most of the "larger" ones I've heard of (me inc) only went 120. well done, many boats out ?

I reckon there are some big ones lurking down deep, the thing is they are very timid and you must be holding the line to feel them mouth the bait, thats why i have left the rods at home and gone with the handlines. The smaller they are, the harder they are hitting the baits. Mate it was a perfect night, only 4 other boats there as well! Glad i work weekends :thumbup:

Just wondering if it is worthwhile targeting them landbased or is it a waste of time.

Mate, never a waste of time when you go fishing. Illawong bay, near akuna bay in coal and candle creek is probably your best bet land based and the most comfortable for you cause you can virtually watch your light stick from your drivers seat. Just make sure your float is perfectly weighted and i'm fairly certain there are rod holes there as well. Give it a go champ its a mad experience!!

Nice work mate!!!! Yum yum

Yum Yum is right, cooked up a few tonight and wow, they were awesome. This time i filleted all of them, to get rid of all the bones, marinated for a couple of minutes , and then i just flash fried them and man, they were so good! Hows greg doing dan, is he still braining those kings?

Mate, never a waste of time when you go fishing. Illawong bay, near akuna bay in coal and candle creek is probably your best bet land based and the most comfortable for you cause you can virtually watch your light stick from your drivers seat. Just make sure your float is perfectly weighted and i'm fairly certain there are rod holes there as well. Give it a go champ its a mad experience!!

Thanks mimyo

I am assuming you are fishing from the rocks down below.Can you tell me what the rig is.Is it stopper float sinker trace then pillie and what depth.What about an unweighted pilchard cast out and left to go to the bottom.Tides I dont know have no idea have never caught a hairtail so it would be good.Your help would be appreciated.

steve