Bloody Mental action popping stickbaiting and jigging

GregL

An interesting 12 months for me.

GT breeding congragations on the Coral Sea, the Barras over the wall and now this!

Can't wait to see what's NEXT! :biggrin2:

Reports of bluefin on the South Coast of NSW have been coming threw over the last 2 weeks. Hmmm havent caught one of them yet....

CSG gave me a buzz mid week planting the seed and to see if I could swing it.

Me, sick as a dog with the flu how could I refuse! :biggrin2:

So within 2 days of the call three of us were on our way with high hopes, a shit load of gear and Micks new 5.8m Formosa in tow on the way to Bermagui.

We left at midnight and by 730 we were on the water heading out to the 3000m line :yahoo:

The conditions were magic with a soft 5-10kn breeze and bugger all swell rolling in from the east.

Anticipation was at an all time high with boats everywhere trolling searching for fish. We saw a few boats hooked up but the buggers didn't like our spread.

With lunch time gone and still no action it was time to deploy plan B.

As we motored up wind of a deep sea mount we saw a couple of boats hooked up so in came the lures and out went a cube trail.

3rd drop I got taken, nothing better than the feeling of your line pulling tight out of your hands whilst on the cube!

Bloody Albi :thumbdown:

After realease things became a blur......

The bluefin turned up under the boat and I mean stacked under the boat.... :1yikes:

After a few fish on the cube Mick rigged up a jig rod. That looked fun!

After a few each like that I thought Hmmm time to pop them.

Out comes the 100lb Ripple Fisher Popping rod and a 125gm Cubera. Most fun ya can have standing up! :thumbup:

2hrs later they start to shy off the popper.... Hmmm stick bait.

It's amazing what a lure change can do. Frezy again.....

4.5hrs and then we pulled the pin on the most EPIC tuna action I have ever whitnessed and If I wasn't there I wouldn't have belived it....

In all that meyham I only pulled my camera out twice. Here is a pic of MIck with one that had been tagged already.

post-3563-061638300 1309737672_thumb.jpg

A little video, sorry about the swearing and yellowfin calls, little excited LOL

I'll post a few more later once the others get their stuff threw :biggrin2:

Thanks Clay for the invite and to Mick, your a champ dude and a pleasure meet and to fish with you mate, I'll have to repay you with a trip out on NEXT, I just don't think we will ever be lucky enough to see action like that ever again!

Greg

Wow, fantastic video on the crazy tuna. Why didn't you chuck another line in and enjoy the ride? Thanks for that though.

When you have caught 10 fish in a row, a break for a drink n smoke and hold the camera is a very welcome break! lol

Awesome footage! This article appears in today's paper, Greg:

AN AMAZING run of southern bluefin tuna hit waters off Narooma and Bermagui on the weekend with the currents lining up just right.

Recreational anglers out of Bermagui and Narooma reported having huge schools of the big tuna responding to their trail of bait cubes under their boats.

Numerous fish up to 100kg were weighed in and there were even reports of fish taking beer cans fished like a popper on the surface.

Meanwhile long-lining commercial vessels out of the ports have also been taking advantage of the tuna run, although depressed prices due to weak Japanese markets have taken the gloss of the catches.

The bluefin tuna, so prevalent off Portland in Victoria a few weeks ago, were pushing up from the south and were being encountered at the NSW Far South Coast seamounts.

Last year was also a good year for bluefin with fish up to 130kg, but the number of fish encountered in recent days has been simply stunning with some vessels catching and releasing more than 30 big fish in a session.

The CSIRO sea surface temperature chart shows warmer water pushing from the north, butting up against colder water creating perfect conditions off Narooma.

The run started late last week off Tathra, south of Bermagui, where one boat caught and released at least 30 fish in one cubing sessions.

The same boat encountered similar numbers on Saturday with Scotty retelling the story of how the fish were amazingly taking beer cans, an old pair of sunglasses and even hooks attached to “Telecom” rope.

Another group of anglers out of Bermagui targeted the tuna on flyfishing gear.

Word has gotten out fast, but there is no guarantee as to how long the fish will stick around creating a tourism windfall.

Further to the south in Victoria, the solid bluefin run at Portland is still going creating a boom for the town.

There is a photo of a beer-can-caught tuna on the Narooma News website.

Cheers

Ian

Great report :thumbup: Would have been fun on the popper rods. Looks like the fish moved north and thursday and friday were the days to be there , got there Saturday and the fishing was good but not as hot as the previous days as the saying goes should have been here yesterday. Just hope the weather is good when they swim past Sydney :biggrin2: ...

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Well done Greg,

Thanks for posting the pictures and video of the feeding frenzy. It amazing how they never collide feeding at that speed.

Big fishing year for you, if you had to pick one memorable moment, what would it be?

Derek

Cheers dudes.

Yeah it's been a cracking year with many firsts for me and also plenty of stuff that I havent done in years to.

The GT's last October I thought was the most crazy thing I'd seen. Hundreds of massive GT's in schools that looked like moving bombies with multiple fish on one lure if you had 2 hooks on it.

Then there was the 57 barras averaging over 1m between 2 over 3 days, incredible!

The trouting was very rewarding, 2 newbies with no idea go out and work out a pattern n score 10 fish myself in a day.

To go out and get Richard and Dahl their first marlins in a day on NEXT was a massive day to.

Of late to go work out a consistant pattern on the river jews has also been very rewarding. To use technique that we were shown up at barras made it even sweeter.

Then the tunas......

Very hard to pick a single event but because the GT's and tuna were on surface lures they both stand out. I'm sorta leaning towards tunas because it was without guides and we all scored our first bluefin in one trip, pretty special in my books.

Here are a couple more clips out tunas.

Greg

Awesome footage! This article appears in today's paper, Greg:

AN AMAZING run of southern bluefin tuna hit waters off Narooma and Bermagui on the weekend with the currents lining up just right.

Recreational anglers out of Bermagui and Narooma reported having huge schools of the big tuna responding to their trail of bait cubes under their boats.

Numerous fish up to 100kg were weighed in and there were even reports of fish taking beer cans fished like a popper on the surface.

Meanwhile long-lining commercial vessels out of the ports have also been taking advantage of the tuna run, although depressed prices due to weak Japanese markets have taken the gloss of the catches.

The bluefin tuna, so prevalent off Portland in Victoria a few weeks ago, were pushing up from the south and were being encountered at the NSW Far South Coast seamounts.

Last year was also a good year for bluefin with fish up to 130kg, but the number of fish encountered in recent days has been simply stunning with some vessels catching and releasing more than 30 big fish in a session.

The CSIRO sea surface temperature chart shows warmer water pushing from the north, butting up against colder water creating perfect conditions off Narooma.

The run started late last week off Tathra, south of Bermagui, where one boat caught and released at least 30 fish in one cubing sessions.

The same boat encountered similar numbers on Saturday with Scotty retelling the story of how the fish were amazingly taking beer cans, an old pair of sunglasses and even hooks attached to “Telecom” rope.

Another group of anglers out of Bermagui targeted the tuna on flyfishing gear.

Word has gotten out fast, but there is no guarantee as to how long the fish will stick around creating a tourism windfall.

Further to the south in Victoria, the solid bluefin run at Portland is still going creating a boom for the town.

There is a photo of a beer-can-caught tuna on the Narooma News website.

Cheers

Ian

heres a link if anyone wants to check it out :biggrin2:http://covers.ruralpress.com/frontpages/66/54663.pdf

Edited by IVZ350