Impeller change, suzuki DT28

mazin1978

Hi, i have a early 80's model Suzuki dt28 outboard that i will be doing a impeller change on sometime during the week. I was just wondering with the following picture will i have to remove the top bolts marked red or the bottom bolts to gain access to the impeller.

Is there a shift linkage or anything like that that i need to disconnect before removing the housing.

post-14469-084885600 1309754743_thumb.jpg

Also when changing the gear oil is it just removing the screws which i marked, then fill from the bottom hole until oil starts coming out of the top hole?

post-14469-023182500 1309754767_thumb.jpg

Appreciate the help

Cheers

Guest Aussie007

u undo the lower bolts the mid section is a long shaft extension so everything inside of it is just an extension

Ok thanks for that, can i remove the extension and make it a short shaft because my hull requires a short shaft outboard i think, the cavitation plate is about 15-20 cm below the bottom of the hull which affects performance i guess?

Once you have undone the 4 bolts for the lower unit it should slide off with very little effort baring in mind that the shaft may have some rust on it.

If it does not come off but has a little bit of play chances are there is a linkage,

If there is a linkage it will be located under the carby just remember to take your time and if your un-sure about anything just ask on here and many people including myself are more than willing to help out.

good luck with it. Its very rewarding when you DIY but just take care because it can very quickly get expensive I have learnt that on quite a few occasions.

Regards,

Nathan

G'day Mate, we have just done the impellor on an 83 Suzuki Dt85 (dont know if it would be the same) but first we googled it & found quite a lot of sites explaining some simple tricks & things to watch out for.

Before you take all the bolts off the leg have a look at the right hand side of the motor( looking from the rear end to the front) we had a small rubber plug on the housing just under where the cowling sits, take this out & you will see the gear selector linkage which connects to the main drive shaft coming up from the leg. once you undo both of these nuts (there is a locknut as well)it is very important that you push this rod in & hold in(it is spring loaded) as you drop the leg down otherwise the leg will not drop ! & viceversa when replacing push in before you push the leg right back up, this was quite tricky & took us a few goes to work out what was actually happening.Changing the impellor is straight forward once you get it off. Cant stress enough about pushing this rod in to line up selector.I have no idea if the DT28 is the same setup.Im very interested to know how you go , keep us informed.

Cheers

Took out the plate that ron.c pointed out and the gear linkage was there, loosed these two bolts and and 4 lower bolts and the gear case came off quite easily.

post-14469-023284700 1309830626_thumb.jpg

Took the housing off and looked pritty good under there. Only problem i had was fitting the new impeller in, once i figured it out come together quite easily. Finished in about an hour :thumbup:

post-14469-019748300 1309831063_thumb.jpg

post-14469-012064400 1309831079_thumb.jpg

Tried to change the gear oil but couldn't get the damn screws off to empty the oil, might have to soak them in wd-40.

Thanks for the help guys, looking forward for fishing tomorrow if the wind slows down :ranting2: :ranting2:

well done!!!!

you might want to try giving the gearcase screws a hit with the screwdriver attached as this will help loosen the seal probably has not been done in a while.

try the WD40 first see if that does the trick,

Regards,

Nathan

Guest Aussie007

use a punch give the screw 2-3 decent taps with a good hammer and the screws should unscrew nice and easy when your refilling the lower unit oil this is a handy tip for anyone use 6mm clear hose place the hose in the bottom drain hole hold the other end of the hose higher than the top hole than simply slowly fill the hose with gear oil untill the oil comes out the top hole no need for expensive pumps

Guest Aussie007

u need to stick multi pliers onto the handle of your screw driver and use it like that its the only way i get mine undone

sounds like its well and truly rusted on good luck with it.

you can try the multi grip's see how you go with that and you could even try to tighten the screw sounds silly but even if you can get it to move that tiny bit that will be enough to break the seal, probably want to check if you can get replacement screws also as you may have to drill these ones out but I am not recommending it,

Good luck,

Regards,

Nathan

Guest Aussie007

yes but u need to remove the bottom screw to fill the lower unit from the bottom up u cant fill it from top screw hole

• 1 year later...

I Have a 1980s suzuki dt 28. I tried to change impeler a couple of years ago myself. Unfortunately the leg would not go away (I did not know the trick with the "gear selector linkage") and i had to pay some 300 euros to have the impeller changed!

As I can see there is a trick, some extra screw I would have to unlock in order for the leg to get free.

The problem is I can not make out where this is form your description below.

Can you please upload o picture, or even a diagramm from the parts book?

I would be greatfull

sakis

Greece

"rubber plug on the housing just under where the cowling sits, take this out & you will see the gear selector linkage which connects to the main drive shaft coming up from the leg. once you undo both of these nuts (there is a locknut as well)it is very important that you push this rod in & hold in(it is spring loaded) as you drop the leg down otherwise the leg will not drop !"

• 3 years later...

use a punch give the screw 2-3 decent taps with a good hammer and the screws should unscrew nice and easy when your refilling the lower unit oil this is a handy tip for anyone use 6mm clear hose place the hose in the bottom drain hole hold the other end of the hose higher than the top hole than simply slowly fill the hose with gear oil untill the oil comes out the top hole no need for expensive pumps

narh not expensive I've been using a sauce pump for 20 years

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pump-for-2lt-Sauces-and-Smoothies-Base-/252335263707?hash=item3ac05a8fdb:g:u7oAAOSwJQdW-NZp