Live Bait Airators

kulch

Hi Raiders

Recently saw some airators for sale, and wondering if they are any good and worth the investment

My yakkas die or get very sick in my bucket after approx 1-2hrs - I usually swap the water in the bucket within the hour, to prolong their health, but generally at the end of the sesh, they are all pretty much kaput.........to which i take them home and freeze for the next day fishing

For the landbased fisho - How much longer does the airator prolong the life of the yakkas? - If we are talking somehwere in the field of 24hrs, thus keeping them alive for 2 fishing sessions, then i may just have to partake in a purchase.

Also any tips on brands, or methods used and do they work with squid and other baits?

cheers

Kulch

definately worth getting a airator.

It will not keep yakkas alive for 2 sessions unless you keep changing the water as yakkas keep doing their business which eventually ends up killing them.

I use a cheap airator jarvis walker I think and if I remember correctly was around $15 you can buy them anywhere it just depends how much you plan on using it as it may be worth buying a better one but so far mine has held up I have had it for around 2 years.

another tip is not to over-crowd your bucket with yakkas keep 6 maximum unless you plan to use them quickly.

Good luck,

Regards,

Nathan

I rotate the water once every hour with an airator, keeps the bait in good condition.

Tips:

Upon catching my yakkas, once I am finished, I rotate the water at 20 minute intervals twice, the reason being, the yakkas foul the water with their bodily waste,which in turn shortens their life, after a couple of water rotations, there's not much left in their little guts.

Water temperature is big factor, the cooler the water, the longer they survive, so keep them out of the sun if possible.

And I was once told to keep the aerator stone a couple of inches below the surface because air bubbles in the fishes gills will kill them, I dunno, never wanted to find out, so that's how iv always done it.

I forgot to mention that if your transporting them in a airated bucket you should get at least 4 hours if there is not too many in the bucket.

remember to put fresh water in the bucket before you leave and put as much water as you can in the bucket and some sort or a lid on the bucket is worthwhile.

its definately worth the effort and if they do end up dying you have the best slab or butterflied bait's there too and they work real well,

Regards,

Nathan

Make sure you swap water alot at the start specially if you are burleying as they will spew up the burley when they get into the bucket.

Take 2 buckets with lids if you want to keep them longer at home for next day. Use one for baits and other to take spare water home for water changing.

they normally shit emselves overnight,,,(with airrator going all night) out of 15 yakkas approx half survive to make it back into my live bait tank witch gives them fresh sea water,,,,,i find poddy mullet survive much better nearly all over night

there is a few around, which i have checked out

will go for the cheapo surecatch option first.............see how it goes, before putting in some hard earned for an expensive one

i mean, if the $15 jobs do the trick for a year, i'll just get one everyear - gotto be careful with these things, when u have beers and saltwater about :)

They are definately worth it. Greg has a $70 airator in a 50L esky that we use to keep our yakkas in. It can hold, and has keep alive up to 25-30 yakkas for a 6-10hr session without a drama in the world. I wont say where he got it from due to site rules, but PM me if you want more details. It might seem expensive compared to the ones your looking at but this model does the job brillantly when paired with our marine battery.

We havent tried to keep yakkas overnight but I dont see why it wouldnt work,,,,maybe 1 or at worst 2 water changes might be required.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Ive run a full bait pump set up before, Get a bilge pump 500gal and place it in the water then get a piece of garden hose about 3mtrs with a inline tap to regulate the flow and run it to a 20ltr bucket (i used a garden hose type fitting just drilled and sikaflex into the top of the bucket), with all holes drilled around the top of the bucket or put a skin fitting with a hose to run back to the water, to let the water flow out and use a jump pack or a motor bike style battery to run it with about the same length of wire and cable tie it to the hose and put alligator clips on the end, If using a bike battery put a inline fuse. And run it on for a few mins every now and then.. I also use this technique to pump water into drums at a boat ramp to put in my fish tanks when i have poddy mullet and yakka's. But the yakkas only last a few days in a tank with an under gravel filter system.. So just another idea for ya. Easy and works well..

Benny.

post-5996-052412300 1310270682_thumb.jpg