Beach and rock-Casting with overheads

RNB

Hello,

to all out there who love casting a mile with overhead reels mainly beach and rock fishing. Hoping to obtain some info and advice from experienced overhead casters-mainly on which reels would be the best for casting 3-5oz sinkers + bait. Would love to know what size reel is the most comfortable to use and which brands and model of reel to go for. Do I go for level wind or no level wind, what stength line do I use...should it be mono or braid.... Not too fussed about dollars, happy to spend if the quality and performance/reliability is there.

All advice welcome

Thanks

RNB

Hi RNB. I used to do a lot of rock and beach fishing with an overhead reel. My choice was a Pen Jigmaster. I got it over 25years ago and has never let me down. I have recently got another two of these as they were going cheep online. Just my 2c worth. Darryl.

If your going to be casting from the beach and rocks, your reels take a beating and especially with sand and grit e.t.c the ABU 7 - 10000 are awesome plus you dont pay much for them so you wont feel bad about it getting bashed around.

As for line the abu holds a good amount of both. I use the abu for cliff fishing as i find i cant wind fish in off the dead lift from the cliff using a threadline.

I have mine loaded up with mono as i find its more forgiving when casting heavy baits ( i find if you make the slightest mistake with braid your line will snap instantly) plus when lifting off the rocks its more abrasion resistant.

As for your rod if your going to be fishing from higher rock ledges i would recomment fibre glass as the bend that your going to put in it if dead lifting would snap a graphite stick.

Hope this helps

If your going to be casting from the beach and rocks, your reels take a beating and especially with sand and grit e.t.c the ABU 7 - 10000 are awesome plus you dont pay much for them so you wont feel bad about it getting bashed around.

As for line the abu holds a good amount of both. I use the abu for cliff fishing as i find i cant wind fish in off the dead lift from the cliff using a threadline.

I have mine loaded up with mono as i find its more forgiving when casting heavy baits ( i find if you make the slightest mistake with braid your line will snap instantly) plus when lifting off the rocks its more abrasion resistant.

As for your rod if your going to be fishing from higher rock ledges i would recomment fibre glass as the bend that your going to put in it if dead lifting would snap a graphite stick.

Hope this helps

Hey Guys,

Sorry to butt in but I also have an overhead reel question.

I have a ABU Ambassador 5600 spooled with 20lb Tuff Line Braid.

I was wondering whether you guys think this reel is too small to use on the beach or rocks.

Also can anyone suggest what rod would go great with this reel.

thanks

first what are looking to catch ,how much line do you need to have left on the reel at the end of the cast . how heavy are you going fish ,braid is not wat you want to be using on overhead casting ,rember all world recods in distance casting are cast with mono and abus reels ,6500 ct.6600 custom build .5500 ct ,UMXL2 OR UMXL3 custom built are the reels that are used .all are made back in the 80's

Thanks for all of the replies, checked out all of the reels suggested and love the idea of the saltiga surf....litlle pricy but i'll be worth it after saving for month or two. Also had a look at the shimano Trinidad 20 & 30DC models, has any one used these or heard of any reviews that i could check out...think I could get get them alot cheaper from the US.....but still like the saltiga surf....what a reel!!!!

Thanks for all of the replies, checked out all of the reels suggested and love the idea of the saltiga surf....litlle pricy but i'll be worth it after saving for month or two. Also had a look at the shimano Trinidad 20 & 30DC models, has any one used these or heard of any reviews that i could check out...think I could get get them alot cheaper from the US.....but still like the saltiga surf....what a reel!!!!

Yes it is a hot lookin reel, and you always wonder what the reel you REALLY wanted was like after you buy the cheaper one, so you end up buying the reel you wanted in the first place and you've spent 1.5 times as much.

if you want to spend your best bet is the maged avet lx 2 speed ,over 400 mters of 30 lbs mono ,can cast over 100 mts if you can cast ,it will also be good as a live bait reel ,as well as a bottom bash reel , trolling reel,you will not go wrong with a maged avet ,about 560 australian dollars to your door from the usa

if you want to spend your best bet is the maged avet lx 2 speed ,over 400 mters of 30 lbs mono ,can cast over 100 mts if you can cast ,it will also be good as a live bait reel ,as well as a bottom bash reel , trolling reel,you will not go wrong with a maged avet ,about 560 australian dollars to your door from the usa

hi customcasting i have an avet rapter sx do u know of anywhere i can get the magnets, cups and washers for it or better yet where i can get it magged

Thanks Ash

i was maging them a few years back still got mags if you carnt find any ,you can get them online from mag lab monavale or othe net out of the us ,very cheap ,got a few pics of how to do in the pc some where ill post them up over the week if im not fishing

hi customcasting i have an avet rapter sx do u know of anywhere i can get the magnets, cups and washers for it or better yet where i can get it magged

Thanks Ash

Avet raptors come stock with cast control as far as I am aware don't they? I haven't heard of any raptors being magged due to the fact that they are dual drag and don't know where you could place the magnets without removing the left hand drag system (or right hand if it is a lefty). I don't know if there is anyone in Australia who mags avets as they aren't to popular over here.

Sorry bit late for me to reply...have been really busy, but just wanted to say thanks for the replies...great stuff. looking into the avet reels but seems a little confusing, their descriptions of reels are not very clear....they dont seem to specifically tell you what each reel is used for...if any one can help me out with suggested models of magged avet reels, would be greatly appreciated....I'd be looking to cast long distance and dont think i would really need a 2 speed. The single speed reels with fast retrieve would be fine...also are their drag ratings in lbs or kg?

Where is the cheapest place to buy daiwa or shimano from overseas...US or Japan...let me know

Cheers again

Edited by RNB

a few i did a few years back all have cast 4 ozs and bait over 130 mts on 15 kg mono

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/dcp02633.jpg/]dcp02633.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the best reel by far is a 2 speed .you only need to use it once when you have big fish on and you will never go back to singal speed ,also good for spining for jews around bridges in the flood tides with black weigthed feathers in the low speed .

Edited by customcasting

Hi Custom casting, Those reels you have in the picks look fantastic....which models are they and do they come already magged....if not are they easy to do and how much xtra does it cost to have the mags added....Do you still do the custom mag conversions? are you based in sydney?..if so how much would you charge to convert one including parts?...let me know?

Cheers

RNB

Hi, three are avet lx , and one daiwa saltis 50 h ,they hold just under 400 mts of 15 kg mono ,the new avet raptor come with factory magged in about 5 sizes ,sx is the smallest and lx is the largest factory mageed reel they do ,you dont need to have them magged just buy factory magged reel ,they are up there in price ,what you get is a very well put togther reel that are very easy to strip down and put back to gether ,very strong ,heaps of drag (leaver drag) good casting control out of the box with the factory magged reel,all bearrings are sold local at barrings shops if you ever need them just take the old one in ,two speed is so good when you are in two a big fish ,the lx is just a little larger than the old seascape major if you have ever seen or used one ,

Mr Customcasting, one last question is best to spool with braid or mono....really cant decide which way to go.....have read some reviews that braid can be pretty dangerous for fingers and tackle if you end up with a birds nest or get your finger caught in line when casting...but the line capacity would be a big advantage when live baiting.....or would you suggest that I go with mono seeing that I am new to overhead casting. Please provide your suggestions and choices of preferred brands to use in both mono and braid....

cheers

RNB