Baitcasters

rjc123

Hey raiders,

a few recent trips up north have lured me into buying a baitcaster combo. I am looking for something perfect for casting lures for jacks and barra! Something that is 2 piece and above 6kg for the rod. My budget is about $350 for rod and reel as i don't need state of the art at this point in time. i found one possible option. Any raiders have any suggestions on other options?

Tom

Shimano raider, or starlo stix pro they are both good rods the raider is very popular. You should pick one up from the your local tackle shop for around 120-150 i dont know much about the reel prices and figures though

curado is about $270

reels you could also look at:

Quantum energy PT $200

okuma V systems $280

Daiwa saltist $249

Abu Orra Inshore $179

Abu revo sx $240

There are some choices you could probably go look at in a tackle store and If its a cheaper rod you want +1 on the Raider rods

:thumbup:

Good luck on your search, hopefully we will see some great barra pulled in from this combo :thumbup:

Im going to get the raider rod as it seems perfect and match it with another reel i found, Shimano Chromica 100b. For that set up it sets me back $318 so thats not too bad. Anyone have this reel or have some comments about it as i dont want a dodgy reel but it looks good and the reviews were perfect!

The Coriolis is basically the lower end of the food chain. Will it stand up to a rampaging jack or barra? I'm not sure.

Bassboy has mentioned two reels that I have: the curado and the revo. When I was deliberating over a new baitcaster, I discovered that numerous charter fishos up north used both these reels. Considering some of their clients can be a little rough on their gear through inexperience, I thought this said a lot about both of them. Other Raiders had encouraging reviews for both of them as well ... so I decided on one of each. The way I looked at it was - the $50 I would have saved on a cheaper reel would be small consolation after losing a potential PB or momentous catch. The two species you have mentioned are renowned for their tackle-testing ability.

Have a look online at some of the reviews for both these reels and you will see what I mean ...

Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

On the website im on it has the coriolis for $99 while the other one i suggested ( Chromica ) is $180. I dont want anything extreme but if this is enough to stand up to Barra and jacks then thats all i really need. Ill only use it up norht and when in south eastern queensland looking for jacks around bridges. Will it do the job?

The Coriolis is basically the lower end of the food chain. Will it stand up to a rampaging jack or barra? I'm not sure.

Bassboy has mentioned two reels that I have: the curado and the revo. When I was deliberating over a new baitcaster, I discovered that numerous charter fishos up north used both these reels. Considering some of their clients can be a little rough on their gear through inexperience, I thought this said a lot about both of them. Other Raiders had encouraging reviews for both of them as well ... so I decided on one of each. The way I looked at it was - the $50 I would have saved on a cheaper reel would be small consolation after losing a potential PB or momentous catch. The two species you have mentioned are renowned for their tackle-testing ability.

Have a look online at some of the reviews for both these reels and you will see what I mean ...

Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

I used a Curado only a week ago in Darwin and landed a few barra to 61cm on it. its a great reel and now i just have to decide whether i spent the extra $100 on something thats very good as opposed to just something tht will do the job.

Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

Hodgey, I would tend to disagree with you on the first part of your point, ie people underestimate lower end reels,I belive they are up to the task, but in regards to withstanding the test of time repeated use is another argument... If old mate here buys the cheaper option, how many times will he actually use it ???

Although I do agree for an extra few dollars, it's worth going the better option, it's not a purchase you make every few months or every year.

Edited by fishingphase

If you want something with a bit stronger drag and line capacity, maybe look for a traditional shaped baitcaster? i got a daiwa luna 300 (imported from US) balanced with the daiwa blue backer. Caught plenty of kings, salmon, tuna and is my favourite jewfish combo from the boat.

Bit more expensive but well worth it

curado is about $270

reels you could also look at:

Quantum energy PT $200

okuma V systems $280

Daiwa saltist $249

Abu Orra Inshore $179

Abu revo sx $240

There are some choices you could probably go look at in a tackle store and If its a cheaper rod you want +1 on the Raider rods

:thumbup:

Good luck on your search, hopefully we will see some great barra pulled in from this combo :thumbup:

Curados are going very cheap in the US at the moment, due to the fact that they have been replaced by new models. The 50E was recently available for US$110 plus shipping (about US$30). Plenty of places in the US are selling the 200E for around US$140. A$270 for a Curado 200E is overpriced, especially when the Assie dollar has appreciated hugely against the US dollar..... The Curados are mid-level reels that are robust and cast great. Also easy to service.

Curados are going very cheap in the US at the moment, due to the fact that they have been replaced by new models. The 50E was recently available for US$110 plus shipping (about US$30). Plenty of places in the US are selling the 200E for around US$140. A$270 for a Curado 200E is overpriced, especially when the Assie dollar has appreciated hugely against the US dollar..... The Curados are mid-level reels that are robust and cast great. Also easy to service.

Thanks mate, any advice on which websites i can find one?