Jewfish Survival rates

rjc123

Hey Raiders, just wondering, what are jewie survival rates like after being released. I usually abide by catch and release but occassionally i might keep a few fish. If the jewfish is brought out of the water for a pic and then returned with in a minute or so will it survive?

jew's suffer from barotrauma (the bends) pretty badly

pulling a jew up from +10mtrs is pretty much going to give the fish the bends

dont quote me on the precise depth but im pretty sure its around that

so in other words if you are after a jew for photos only dont go targeting them in the deeper waters

Edited by Framedtrash

jew's suffer from barotrauma (the bends) pretty badly

pulling a jew up from +10mtrs is pretty much going to give the fish the bends

dont quote me on the precise depth but im pretty sure its around that

so in other words if you are after a jew for photos only dont go targeting them in the deeper waters

Yeh mate, In Darwin the jewies that came up all suffered from baratrauma unfortunately. I will mainly just fish in rivers so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some areas in the hawkesbury are deeper than 10 meters though. Does anyone know rouhgly how deep the water near the rail bridge is? If the fish gets baratrauma will it definitely die or have a chance of survival?

Yeh mate, In Darwin the jewies that came up all suffered from baratrauma unfortunately. I will mainly just fish in rivers so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some areas in the hawkesbury are deeper than 10 meters though. Does anyone know rouhgly how deep the water near the rail bridge is? If the fish gets baratrauma will it definitely die or have a chance of survival?

From my understanding of the bends if you can release them quickly they have a reasonable chance of survival. Basically returning back to the original depths should reverse the effects of the bends.

Another note to though is that often bigger fish can suffer internal injuries when removed from the water if not supported very carefully. Basically they are not designed to support their own weight out of water.

Rich