Lake Lyle Tuesday

Guest hottuna

Guest hottuna

Got to lyle monday night at 11.30pm, set up camp then soaked some baits while kicking back be the fire, didn`t get a fish allnight. Trolled using a ziplock boom (a tiny devise which houses your snapperlead allowing you to dropback as much as possible before clipping the boom in place) on one rod with a tassie devil i was able to get it down to 9m using the boom.The other rods had a range of tassies, cd5 rapalas and a celta. We also worked the banks all morning in between trolls. Went back to camp for lunch along the way spoke to a few guys on the banks and trolling, all had at least 1 fish, one older gentleman had 4, he was using cowbells before his lures trolled superslow (6hp). Jonny put a live yabby we caught under some rock under a bubble float, it was in maybe 3mins before we had out first fish a rainbow of 670g. I was just happy to see a trout

Oh well i thought, its my fist time fishing for trout and first time at lyle - i must have the wrong technique.

Was re riggin some rods on the boat at camp went Alex Hickson of Viking Lures approched, asked if we`d had any luck......got talking about lures and the tackle trade - he then offered me 4 lures from his boxes as samples and his card rekons he`d caught a nice 8lber there a few days earlier, nice bloke i thought and couldn`t wait to try em. Had lunch then went for a quick run to try the lures out. 10mins in and we had out first lure taking trout a rainbow it went 700g it took the small pink lure in the shot, still had lures out so i popped the poly in gear while i took a few snaps of Micheals fish - my rod then spings to life, the capricorns drag singing i picked up the rod and felt a real solid fish, which was franticly shacking its head and trying to bury me on the bottom still lossing line on solid drag setting. Not trout like i thought? It didn`t jump and was a fight i can only compare to a aussie salmon of the same size. When she landed in the net i was appsolutely happy i came to lyle. She measured 50cm and went 2.1kg! It took the goldy coloured lure in the pic it dives to 5m. Passed Alex while having a troll and shouted out praises and thanked him again, a real top bloke in my books. Met him back at camp later and picked up a few more of his lures for my collection.

Dan

Dan

post-100-1118225098_thumb.jpg

post-100-1118296883_thumb.jpg

post-100-1118296904_thumb.jpg

Edited by hottuna

Guest hottuna
Thats a solid trout Dan. Good stuff! Do you have a clear pic of these lures you used?

51617[/snapback]

]

I have but unfortunatly not with me today, will post them later today.

dan

Nice Solid Trout Dan, I was at Lyell last Friday with Chopper. We managed 6 good Trout and should have had a further 5 or 6 but lost them due to a variety of reasons (main fault is due to me being a gumby!). First time I have tried Lyell, I was quietly impressed!

Cheers

Windy

Guest hottuna

im having trouble loading the lure shots, the other pics are now added. lure shots to come

dan

Nice fish Dan, :thumbup: well done mate.

I was down there about 5 weeks ago and also caught my first trout.. I was using celtas , countdowns , tassie devils and fly and couldn't land a thing .. we caught 12 between us but all late arvo and early morning on power bait. Biggest went 46 and was a great fight, jumping etc--- still have a smile.. :1clap: good to see you got your first and a very nice first at that.. also interested to see the lure.

Cheers Evan

Guest hottuna
Great fish Dan

Forgive my ignorance but where is Lyle???

52170[/snapback]

lithgow on the way to bathurst

dan

Nice fish Dan.

I too have met Alex one of fishings gentleman he offered to build me a fly rod for nothing as a wedding present, all I had to do was give him the parts.

He is a top bloke in my books also.

Alex if you read this post mate get in touch.

Nick