Lion island too dAngerous for a 12ft allycraft

JSM81

Hi guys

Last Saturday u went out to lion island for the first time in my 12ft tinny. I wS reAlly calm but I normally stay in the hawks. I've read on the net about shark sightings and freak waves that you can't c around the island and now Im not keen on going back out there. Is lion island too dangerous for my boat? I usually have another 2 ppl in it.

Hi guys

Last Saturday u went out to lion island for the first time in my 12ft tinny. I wS reAlly calm but I normally stay in the hawks. I've read on the net about shark sightings and freak waves that you can't c around the island and now Im not keen on going back out there. Is lion island too dangerous for my boat? I usually have another 2 ppl in it.

With great conditions it might be ok, but I would say NO..12foot tinny, I would not risk it ..The waves can get quite big as they come over the reef on the north eastern side

Hi guys

No, not at all, if the weather is ok, freak wave only ever happen when people arent looking at what going on around them, and sharks dont like eating alloy.

With the right weather and staying on the side of caution you will be fine. I fished the colours, north head around to manly and a couple of kms off the coast in a 12ft tinnie with a 15hp.

Ensure the weather is good (look at at a couple of sites to ensure consensus), check the wave conditions and keep an eye out for changes in weather. With all your safety equipment and life jackets on you should be fine

Edited by fishmaniac

I am not a very experienced boatie, have just upgraded my 12ft tinny to a 540 Feedomsport. I have been out around Lion Island quite a few times and never felt in danger. Heading out from patonga common sence tells you when it's too rough and stay in the sheltered areas. The North Side can get bumpy so I stayed away from there. I didn't have any trouble shooting across to Ettalong, or via versa when the weather was good. Take it easy and hve a back up plan to stay in close when the swell is up. Have fun. Garry

I've fished around Loin island many times in a 3m tinny with 15hp and never had any trouble.

Main thing to do dosn't matter what boat your in is to run for home if the conditions start to deteriorate, not wait to see how bad they will get.

In the tinny stay out of the head swell as the waves can come up sharp very quickly. Use common sence and fish on the side of caution and you will be alright.

Regards Jeff

Make sure you always watch the waves breaking on the seaward to southern side. It could be pretty easy to focus on something on your boat etc and get in too close. Like a lot of others have said, I've fished that area and up to 3-4kms wide with a 12ft tinny. It's about YOU and what YOU'RE comfortable with. You need to know your area of competence and where you draw the line, if you don't know if you're competent with what you're doing then you're outside it.

Make sure you always watch the waves breaking on the seaward to southern side. It could be pretty easy to focus on something on your boat etc and get in too close. Like a lot of others have said, I've fished that area and up to 3-4kms wide with a 12ft tinny. It's about YOU and what YOU'RE comfortable with. You need to know your area of competence and where you draw the line, if you don't know if you're competent with what you're doing then you're outside it.

Well put & solid advice :thumbup:

Blood Knot

Guest Aussie007

i had a 12ft allycraft i often took it outside the heads chasing kings at port kembla and port hacking u really need to pick the day and swell direction plus all other factors i would feel safer out there by my self than having 2 other people in the boat u dont need other people in your boat to boost your confidence if in doubt dont go out

Haha I'd love some time alone but I'd feel bad not inviting ppl to come along since my fam and friends love fishing. Mm looks like I have some reading to do on swell direction, etc. Since for years I've stayed in the estuary I haven't familiarized myself

With swell, changes in weather conditions, etc if it became rough I'd just tough it out....no doing that out there lol

Thats it mate i have had it turn bad on me out there but just putted along safely to the swell and got in calmer waters and had a go there,the son was freaking but just have faith in your baot and dont get carried away slow and steady if it turnes nasty and read the waves all of it is a good learning curb good luck will look out for you next time,cheers

Guest Aussie007

ive had 3 people in the same 12 foot allycraft tinny it feels uncomfy out off the heads in open ocean but in rivers its fine out in open ocean the less people u have in the boat the more comfy it feels the boat feels lighter and doesnt sit as low in the water

In my opinion around the mouth of the Hawkesburry the wave conditions can change quickly for one main reason, the tide. You can go out in the moring and fish outside in a 12 ft with no problem but if the tide has changed and is running out against an incoming swell, bad things can happen. Swell height increases and period decreases, substantially. I have had this happen many times in my 16ft boat and would not want to be there for love nor money in a 12 fter. And this is in good weather. If a front is coming through, or its getting late in the day your options about finding a sheltered spot to wait for the tide to change back become limited and risks increase.