YFT Sydney Wide

Secho

Cubed wide of Sydney yesterday on Reef Magic and had the best show i've seen.. bit chaotic, but unreal!

We were kicking back with a coldie, 2 blokes feeding the pillies in and out, one jigging, Mike and Dave taking care of the cube trail.

Hadnt seen much action until 6 rods went off at the same time, each run kicking in seconds after one another.. mayhem followed.

I got my one on the jig only to pull the hook then get hit by something bigger within seconds of dropping the first. My mate Hulme' who was retrieving a pillie went off, the deep bait off the outrigger went off, Davo who has feeding a pillie out went off, one on a balloon off the port side went off followed by same off the bow.. Hulme who was the first to drop his quickly dropped a jig and he was back on fighting a very green fish right beside the boat.. Mike called it for around the 40kg mark before it sounded for a long long run.

Looking into the water as we ducked and weaved the rods there was literally a carpet of yellow fin running under the boat - they were literally everywhere which is something i've never seen in my life and wont forget in a hurry.. at one stage I think we were more consumed with the magic carpet than concentrating on getting our fish on board - which is probably quite obvious by our 6-5-1 result

During the mayhem my braid on the jig cut Mike off, the one up on the bow was long gone, Davo pulled the hook on his, I got mine on the deck (around 25 - 30kg mark) which left Hulme fighting his for about 40 minutes.. at one stage he got caught up in the running gear only to be saved by a deep push of the deck broom, but the line was compromised from rubbing on the rudder and after getting him off, the braid busted on the next run - very dissapointing for him considering he almost had the leader boatside just prior to that.

All in all a fantastic show, bit unfortunate that we only landed one during the mayhem - but a session to remember for a long time.

Cheers

Marty

Edited by Secho

Hi Marty sounds like you had a great time.

Reef Magic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, certainly pulled a top experience out of the hat for you.:thumbup:

Would love to have been there to see the fish carpet under the boat.

Regards Jeff

Yeah, the magic carpet was awsome... I reckon there must have been thousands of them.. the two blokes that were feeding the pillies in and out were a few hundred meters out from the boat at the time so to get hit at the same time as the jigs and deep bait under the boat, must have been a massive school. Good thing about it is that we might start to see more schools of the 20kg to 25kg mark more often, as opposed to reports of one off big fin being caught from time to time.

Hi Marty,

Well done again, it would off been an awsome experience to see that size of a patch of YFT and be in the middle of it. You and the boys from Reef Magic have had some great sessions this season. Hopefully catch up soon.

Stewart

Marty

Tell me you got it all on camera....

We were too busy scrambling around the deck for camera shots - but tell you what, I would have loved to have a snorkle and goggles out there.. unless there was a big Mako down under ready to give me the Al McGlash brush off !