Pittwater 7/8/11

rjc123

Hey raiders,

headed out this morning in pittwater even though i woke up to heavy rain. By the time i arrived it all cleared up. Headed straight out to West Head and had a quick troll. Nothing much happened so i moved out to the baitgrounds at the pillboxes. Managed 12 yakkas in 10 minutes and then shot off to my first spot. Got to Stokes Point and sent out 4 rods. Two with live yakkas, 1 with prawn and the other with pilli. After 15 minutes a small 25cm snapper comes in. 5 minutes later my baitrunner starts screaming and i let it got for 10 seconds or so. It all stopped and i thought he might be swallowing it but it turned out that he spat it out. The poor yakka was crushed and mangled. Looked like a jewie had a crack at him. Anyway, kept fishing and a little while later the other rod goes off with a yakka on a circle hook. He was hooked this time and running hard. He felt very heavy and i was thinking jew but after 5 minutes he took a leap for the air. Another 3 minutes later he was about to be netted when he took another run straight under the boat and caught the motor :ranting2:

AHHHHH! Bye Bye pb salmon..... he would have gone close to 75cm i reckon.. Heart broken i kept fishing and it all went quiet.

Decided to make a move over to the basin and fish the same baits except this time i butterflied one of the yakka's. After 10 minutes the butterflied yakka had been taken... reel screaming i picked it up and set the hooks. This thing felt very heavy and took 10 minutes to net. Turned out to be a 110cm banjo shark... not the target species but better than nothing i guess... Went quiet again for a while until a livie was smashed... the fish ran straight for a nearby moored boa and bang! He was gone.. It was turning out to be a very frustrating day and i decided for one more move.

Back to Stokes point as the tide was a bit better. Only had about half an hour to fish it so was keen for it to happen fast. Sure enough after a few minutes my livie is smashed and the fish takes a short run with plenty of head shakes. Didn't feel as powerful as the salmon did but he was still giving a good account for himself! After 5 minutes up comes a really nice flattie. Slipped the net under him and onto the boat comes a 55cm flathead. I was relieved that at least i had caught something and he was definitely going to be dinner.

Great day on he water and having flathead for dinner!

post-14949-051679700 1312701570_thumb.jpg

Edited by mack attack 79

Hey raiders,

headed out this morning in pittwater even though i woke up to heavy rain. By the time i arrived it all cleared up. Headed straight out to West Head and had a quick troll. Nothing much happened so i moved out to the baitgrounds at the pillboxes. Managed 12 yakkas in 10 minutes and then shot off to my first spot. Got to Stokes Point and sent out 4 rods. Two with live yakkas, 1 with prawn and the other with pilli. After 15 minutes a small 25cm snapper comes in. 5 minutes later my baitrunner starts screaming and i let it got for 10 seconds or so. It all stopped and i thought he might be swallowing it but it turned out that he spat it out. The poor yakka was crushed and mangled. Looked like a jewie had a crack at him. Anyway, kept fishing and a little while later the other rod goes off with a yakka on a circle hook. He was hooked this time and running hard. He felt very heavy and i was thinking jew but after 5 minutes he took a leap for the air. Another 3 minutes later he was about to be netted when he took another run straight under the boat and caught the motor :ranting2:

AHHHHH! Bye Bye pb salmon..... he would have gone close to 75cm i reckon.. Heart broken i kept fishing and it all went quiet.

Decided to make a move over to the basin and fish the same baits except this time i butterflied one of the yakka's. After 10 minutes the butterflied yakka had been taken... reel screaming i picked it up and set the hooks. This thing felt very heavy and took 10 minutes to net. Turned out to be a 110cm banjo shark... not the target species but better than nothing i guess... Went quiet again for a while until a livie was smashed... the fish ran straight for a nearby moored boa and bang! He was gone.. It was turning out to be a very frustrating day and i decided for one more move.

Back to Stokes point as the tide was a bit better. Only had about half an hour to fish it so was keen for it to happen fast. Sure enough after a few minutes my livie is smashed and the fish takes a short run with plenty of head shakes. Didn't feel as powerful as the salmon did but he was still giving a good account for himself! After 5 minutes up comes a really nice flattie. Slipped the net under him and onto the boat comes a 55cm flathead. I was relieved that at least i had caught something and he was definitely going to be dinner.

Great day on he water and having flathead for dinner!

post-14949-051679700 1312701570_thumb.jpg

Mack Attack sounds like an awesome day.

Shame about the missed fish,

I wont what smashed your yakka? the worst part it not knowing, your going to lose sleep over it lol

Great report mate and nice flattie!

Cheers, Predator