More engine talk -

locodave

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread so thought we could discuss it here.

I went to the show this year and spoke to both Evinrude and Honda. This is the information I gathered.

E-tec -

It's older technology from 2004 or 2006 (can't remember what year he said). Along the way they have made minor modifications to the engine.

Honda -

Newer technology

Use 25% less fuel than the eTecs.

I didn't comapre it to the Yammies though, but looks like Yammies are just as good and quiet.

Can anyone provide information on the Yamaha how they compare to the above?

Dave, I run a Honda but would be just as happy to run a Yammie. Have researched both and there is bugger-all between them. Just that the dealer who I bought from was a Honda dealer, not Yammie.

You won't go wrong with either and both have factory representation here in Aus for any warranty claims - if ever needed that is.

Cheers,

Tuffy

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread so thought we could discuss it here.

I went to the show this year and spoke to both Evinrude and Honda. This is the information I gathered.

E-tec -

It's older technology from 2004 or 2006 (can't remember what year he said). Along the way they have made minor modifications to the engine.

Honda -

Newer technology

Use 25% less fuel than the eTecs.

I didn't comapre it to the Yammies though, but looks like Yammies are just as good and quiet.

Can anyone provide information on the Yamaha how they compare to the above?

Hi, I would like to be shown where a Honda (or any 4-Stroke for that matter) will use 25% less fuel than an E-TEC because in my boat trials with all brands it tends to be the other way around if anything, but as I say to people all the time, all clean tech engines are on par in terms of fuel burn at the end of a days boating. Only on Wednesday I delivered a Haines Hunter 585R with a 175HP E-TEC and comparing the fuel burn of this rig to the same hull on the Honda website with a 175HP Honda the E-TEc at idle did 7.1K/L while the Honda was 2.5K/L. At cruise the E-TEc was 2K/L while the Honda doing the same 44k/hr was burning 1.5K/L. At WOT the E-TEc was doing 75K/hr for a range of 1.2K/Lr. The Honda can only do 66K/hr for about the same range. Also time to reach 50K/hr with the E-TEc was 6 seconds while the Honda took 18 seconds. Of course this was under different conditions and differnt 585Rs but it does not ring true with what you were told. I have many more examples of this if you ever want to come in and I can show you.

As for engine design the facts are-2-stroke outboards have been made since 1909, DI engine came about in the mid to late 1990s when the EPA said you have to be clean-about the same time as 4-Strokes came out in largish HPs. In 2003 E-TEC was born as the second generation DI outboards from BRP and as with any good company they look to always improve the engines and depending on what HP you are tlaking about every year they make imporvements and take the vry popular I-3 in 2009 they improved many things over the old models so not sure what you mean by 2004-2006.

What will be interesting is the next round of emission regs that will regulate CO and E-TEc being the only engine to win an award from the EPA are in good shape to met these, while some other clean tech outboard may struggle to met the CO reculations and you only need to look at the sterndrive segment where they have had to fit cat converters to met these and with an outboard design fitting a catalyic converter is not that easy. Also do not forget that BRP own Rotax, who probably make the worlds best small 4-Stroke powerheads so if BRP wanted to make 4-Strokes it would be very easy for them but then they too would have the problem of meeting tougher CO regulations-that I am sure everyone ios aware of, CO is not good for us humans and just have a look at sterndrive boats where they have ben forced to fit stickers wanring about CO emissions and likely damage to us humans. All this info you can get from the US EPA site and they list the emissions of all outboards.

As I say all the time and not sure why such a post needs to be discussed again-you just have to do a search on any outboard internet forum and this has been done to death, but all clean engine are fine outboards and IF someone does the homework and listens to the facts then they can make their own decision in terms of which brand of outboard best suits them for performance, simplicity and therefore reliabilty, fuel efficiency, clean running and very important today value for money in inital buy price and cost of servicing that said outboard.

I have been twice now to where these engines are made and seen with my own eyes who and how they are built and I have confidence in recommending them and we have been in this marine business for almost 50 years selling and servicing all brands. If anyone wants to come up and have a chat I will show you photos of how switched on BRP are.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

If its four stroke your after both Yamaha and Honda are both great engines. But then again so are Suzi's and Mercs.

Some people have a preference for certain brands just like holden and ford fans etc, thats not to say one is superior to the other in every aspect.

Modern engines are all great when treated right although long term corrosion resistance can be a factor.

Look for power to weight ratios, fuel consumption, warranty and service, and after all that you'll probably just end up going for the one that looks the best!

:wacko:

Good luck with it whichever brand you choose to go, its always great having the peace of mind of a new motor.

Musty