New spinning combo

rjc123

Hey raiders,

im looking for a new spinning combo. I just bought a shimano baitrunner a couple of weeks ago so don't want to go too over the top. Something preferably under $260 - $270 would be nice. I need something that can handle Mangrove Jacks up north but light enough to fish for bream on with both baits and lures. Preferably a reel at about 4000 size and a rod at 3kg plus at least. I had a look online and came up with one possible combination.

* Shimano Symetre FJ 4000 matched with a 2 piece shimano sahara spin 6"6.

I already have a symetre 2500 and it works very well. Any comments or ideas raiders?

Yeh mate, thats definitely an option. I came across a few others.

* Shimano Jewell 702 saltwater spin 3-6kg with a Shimano Stradic FI 4000 reel.

* Shimano Mexican Fire Rack Spin 3-5kg with Daiwa Exceler DA 4000

* Shimano Jewell 662 Barra Spin 5-10kg with Abu Soron SX 40 reel

Any opinions guys?

i have the rackraider with an exceller 2500 and i reckon that would have a chance with the jacks. with 10lb braid. its pretty solid. but i would look at the soron reels.

especially if you want it for bream. a 5-10kg rod is too heavy for bream, would take alot of fun out of the fight.

Mate I have seen Mangrove Jacks in action and you need something fairly stout to stop these brutes, they go hard and straight towards any structure and if you hook something decent he'll bust up the light weight gear in a flash...

Mate I have seen Mangrove Jacks in action and you need something fairly stout to stop these brutes, they go hard and straight towards any structure and if you hook something decent he'll bust up the light weight gear in a flash...

Yeh, i know mate. They really put the tackle to the test! Im mainly fishing bridges and rocky bays for them. I reckon if i have a decent 3000 or 4000 reel with 20lb braid and a 3-6kg rod i can subdue one of these brutes! Hopefully.... haha

At this stage it looks like this.

* either 3000 or 4000 shimano stradic reel

* Either a Shimano Raider Mexican Fire rack spin 682 2-5kg rod, Plueger Trion SP702 3-6kg rod or Shimano Jewell 702 Saltwater spin.

Does this sound okay. Im ordering it online so how will i know if the reel will match the rod?

It's hard to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole. If it was me I'd get an outfit that leans towards whichever species you target the most. If it's bream mainly I'd go a rack raider with a stradic 2000-3000 or something similar. You may catch your jacks on those, probably lose a number, but at least you'll have a good time with the bream! Then save up for a specific heavier outfit.

Either way, good luck with it all!

Yeh mate, thats true. i would go heavier but when lure fishing you can't get to carried away and go too heavy as the twitch and action of the lure is affected. I just need something that can cast accurately and have enough grunt to subdue the odd standout fish but work on bream and others.. I like a challenge so i might go with the rack raider and 3000 stradic. Thanks guys!

Thats a good combo, great bang for your buck. Just make sure the 3000 sized reel feels balanced for you on that rod before you spend your money. Everyone holds their rod a little differently and some combos suit some people and annoy others. Well worth testing the balance for yourself...

Just as an aside, the bream finesse have the same specs as the rack raider from memory except it's a but longer which may be an advantage for soft plastic fishing. They're tough as nails too, at least the older ones are. Might be worth picking one up when you check out the rack raider.

Edited by abecedarian

As far as i know the rack raider doesn't come in any size for the particular model i want bigger than 682. One other option would be the pflueger trion graphite series 702. It is 3-6kg and around 7ft. Is this an option?

It's probably a good option actually. Its a bit heavier than I'd like for bream but shouldn't take the fun out of it. And it should handle the jacks a bit better. Might be a good compromise...

But if you're hell bent on shimano then the starlo classic and starlo pro stix ranges might be worth a look.

Edited by abecedarian