Down rigging questions

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

With my down rigger, i usually slow troll baits such as gars, squid and slimeys.

And bibless minnows such as rapala x raps and metal slugs.

But can you down rig deep divers? and skirted lures.

Alot of you might think it pointless to downrig a deep diver, but i want the thing to be almost scraping along the bottom in very deep water e.g over 60 feet.

My plan is to clip the line, about 10 metres from the lure so theres alot of free line and let it run deeper then the down rigger. But if i do this, will the pressure of the bib on the minnow pull the lure from the clip?

Also does anyone down rig skirted lures? i down rig swuid so i dont see why not lol.

I sound up alot of fish that i cant get to on the troll due to the fact there down so low.

Any input would be awesome chaps.

Cheers, Predator

you can downrig any thing

replace your down rig clips with elastic bands and that will stop them pulling on with the pressure from the lure

replace the cable with braid this will allow you to put more line onto the downrigger and allow you to fish deeper baits

Exactly what FT said - i have pretty much done away with using the commercial downrigger releases - yes they are quicker and easier to use but if you are using bigger baits and particularly if you are downrigging deep, a lot of the releases can't handle the pressure and the baits keep popping out of the clip.

Just use elastic bands and clip swivels - and your bait/lure will hold easily.

jimm and framed trash are on the money i have done the same with my set up used a 100lb trace of the ball about 500mm with a game clip swivel and use elastic bands although ive never had any trouble with standard clips i just trust band more..

also with deep diver i have tryed them with no luck as they load up to much (to much underwater drag) and release to easy

good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips guys,

Might go the elastic band.

What pound down ribber bomb do you all use?

Thanks again

Size 12 rubber band

Bomb depends on conditioms and depths

10lb for deep water in strong current and 3-5lb for inshore

The scotty release clips are ok to use but stick the elastic band in the clip not the line and make sure the clip is set to it strongest setting

You want the band to break not the release clip to open

Edited by Framedtrash

Please explain the use of rubber bands and swivel clips instead of proprietary release clips. An illustration or photo would be good.

When using a proprietary clip, such as a Scotty, couldn't you just wrap a small rubber band around the clamp end to provide more compressive force which would hold the bigger baits or lures?

Guest Aussie007

this is the clip u need its one from cannon at one point 80cm kings were having trouble pulling the bait :biggrin2: ive tried a few release clips this one by far stands out as 3x stronger there are levels of tightness on the levers and also by turning the knob so u can vary the tension

post-3154-096192100 1313487624_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

Thanks for all the tips guys,

I will try them all.

Geeze Gazza that clip looks like a set of pliers lol they look like they could hold definately. How much?

Thanks, Predator

im not sure mate ive never needed to replace mine but they sure out do the scotty clip i have hands down

this is the clip u need its one from cannon at one point 80cm kings were having trouble pulling the bait :biggrin2: ive tried a few release clips this one by far stands out as 3x stronger there are levels of tightness on the levers and also by turning the knob so u can vary the tension

looks like the cannon standard clip they work ok u just have to know how to set them up fiddly things.

Guest Aussie007

looks like the cannon standard clip they work ok u just have to know how to set them up fiddly things.

mine has worked strait out of the box ive never had to adjust it in a year to a year and a half i bought a cannon lake troll downrigger from west marine in the USA i thought it didnt come with a clip so i ordered the scotty clip at the same time the scotty clip with yellow tips is ridiculous anything faster than idle speed or slightly larger bait it unclips this cannon clip clips everything including braid or mono where as the scotty only does mono

mine has worked strait out of the box ive never had to adjust it in a year to a year and a half i bought a cannon lake troll downrigger from west marine in the USA i thought it didnt come with a clip so i ordered the scotty clip at the same time the scotty clip with yellow tips is ridiculous anything faster than idle speed or slightly larger bait it unclips this cannon clip clips everything including braid or mono where as the scotty only does mono

the scotty's have 2 settings

sounds like u r using the wrong setting

the section ive circled changes the settings u just push it in or pull it out

24obwh1.jpg

Guest Aussie007

the scotty's have 2 settings

sounds like u r using the wrong setting

the section ive circled changes the settings u just push it in or pull it out

24obwh1.jpg

ive used both setting

Wouldn't the deep diver work just aswell as everything else if you used a heavier elastic band to counteract to force of the drag put out by the bib and then when a fish hit the lure the band would snap just the same?

Just a confused question from someone who dosent own a downrigger