Which anchor rope?

Catchin Jack

Leo, 2 things :

100 mtrs seems a lot for your size boat, and I find that 6mm is too hard to handle as in too thin. I personally prefer 10mm rope as I find it easier to grab. Don't forget that 99% of the time you will be retrieving the anchor rope under strain, so if it's a bit thicker it's easier on your hands.

Just my opinion.

Tuffy.

I think mine is 8mm. I have a 4.75m ally boat. When I bought new rope to replace the existing I originally went for 10mm but then I found it hard to wrap around and lock down in the "holder" (whatever it's called) when anchoring, so I reduced the rope down to the next size. hmm.. now I can't remember if I went from 12mm to 10mm... or 10mm to 8mm.... anyway, best to check your fastening because you don't want to find it too hard to lock down if you go too thick.

Another thing I did was to mark the rope every 10m. I painted 1 stripe on the rope for 10m, 2 stripes at 20m, 3 at 30m, etc... (I have 50m of rope on my anchor). It's handy to know how much you have out, but also very disheartening when you're dragging it back up and realise you are only at the 30m mark!

Cheers

I think mine is 8mm. I have a 4.75m ally boat. When I bought new rope to replace the existing I originally went for 10mm but then I found it hard to wrap around and lock down in the "holder" (whatever it's called) when anchoring, so I reduced the rope down to the next size. hmm.. now I can't remember if I went from 12mm to 10mm... or 10mm to 8mm.... anyway, best to check your fastening because you don't want to find it too hard to lock down if you go too thick.

Another thing I did was to mark the rope every 10m. I painted 1 stripe on the rope for 10m, 2 stripes at 20m, 3 at 30m, etc... (I have 50m of rope on my anchor). It's handy to know how much you have out, but also very disheartening when you're dragging it back up and realise you are only at the 30m mark!

Cheers

Thanks mate, could you let me know what you have, 8 or 10. I've currently got 10mm but wouldn't mind the 8mm if it's ok.