Reef Magic - 16th August Report

Hi all,

Well yesterday was fairly quiet on the bluefin & yellowfin for us. We again managed an massive albie but no fin. Huntress dropped 1 yellowfin & landed another around 40kg.

Today sounded a bit different but we weren't out. Miran and the boys weighed 2 yellowfin of 40 & 50kg and heard of a few bluefin being hooked & caught. Again Ivan has one on board that they are calling for 90kg.. lets see if she cracks the 100kg again.

Anyway bad weather for a few days but if your keen for any charters next week or the weekend give me a call on 0407113349 as there is still a good chance at massive bluefin.

Cheers Damo

Hi all,

Well yesterday was fairly quiet on the bluefin & yellowfin for us. We again managed an massive albie but no fin. Huntress dropped 1 yellowfin & landed another around 40kg.

Today sounded a bit different but we weren't out. Miran and the boys weighed 2 yellowfin of 40 & 50kg and heard of a few bluefin being hooked & caught. Again Ivan has one on board that they are calling for 90kg.. lets see if she cracks the 100kg again.

Anyway bad weather for a few days but if your keen for any charters next week or the weekend give me a call on 0407113349 as there is still a good chance at massive bluefin.

Cheers Damo

Damo do you see the forecast improving? I'm dying to get out there this weekend after the last week's reports, unfortunately we spent last saturday chasing sharks and missed the action. It's looking pretty terrible for the weekend.

Dan

Damo do you see the forecast improving? I'm dying to get out there this weekend after the last week's reports, unfortunately we spent last saturday chasing sharks and missed the action. It's looking pretty terrible for the weekend.

Dan

Hi Dan.. here is what i post yesterday to another comment. If the weather improves & that current holds they will bet there still. Give me a call if your keen.

With the weather changing tomorrow from the north it may push that head of warmer water further south which we don't want, however there is also a strong southerly predicted for the weekend which could push more cold water in, we will just have to wait and see what happens. What you have to look at is that the water off Sydney that the bluefin were in is around the 18.5 mark while when they were down south of Narooma the water was a lot colder. The fish held for a good time down the coast as the current was very slow giving bait a chance to stack & the fish were staying with the bait. Off Sydney over the weekend & yesterday we had less than a knot of current in 500 fathoms with no bait holding but when you got over 1000 fathoms you had over 3 knots current which gives the bait and the fish no chance to hold, however the water temperature was the same from 500 - 1000. Hopefully all this will change over the next week and the current will back off a bit which would definitely give everyone a better shot at the fish.

The longliners can target the bluefin off Sydney but they will be restricted to 500kg as the buffer zone line that protects these fish while migrating is up north and whilst in the buffer zone this quota has to be observed. Unfortunately it will probably result in a lot of wasted fish if they pull a good string.

Most of the longliners are way north towards QLD as once over the buffer zone their quota is lifted to their normal levels. One boat up north came in with 15 ton of fish a couple of weeks ago and I believe that 7-8 ton of this were Albacore with a mix of broadbill, bluefin, yellowfin, marlin & bigeye.

Cheers Damo

Hi boys, hope all is well, weather is looking good, time to sneak out there again.

Just for those interested, we weighed 2 y/fin last week at SGFC on 16/8/11 and got very accurate short measurements, the 40kg fish was 1340mm long and the 50kg fish was 1430mm long.

Cheers guys, get out there and good luck.

:flying:

Hi boys, hope all is well, weather is looking good, time to sneak out there again.

Just for those interested, we weighed 2 y/fin last week at SGFC on 16/8/11 and got very accurate short measurements, the 40kg fish was 1340mm long and the 50kg fish was 1430mm long.

Cheers guys, get out there and good luck.

:flying:

Do you recall what the water temp was.