Overhead vs Baitcaster

Guest SnaggedAgain

Guest SnaggedAgain

Hello Fisharoos, got a noob question. What is the difference between a overhead outfit and a baitcaster outfit?

Hello Fisharoos, got a noob question. What is the difference between a overhead outfit and a baitcaster outfit?

I'd say the primary difference is size and application. Baitcaster reels are just small overheads (i.e. the reel sits above the rod, unlike a threadline reel which hangs below) with smaller line capacities and are designed to be cast with accuracy. A good baitcaster will just about fit in the palm of your hand and as suggested above will often have a button to engage free-spool rather than a lever which would be more cumbersome with multiple casts. On the other hand overhead reels can be very large (think game reels) and some are not designed to be cast at all (given the inertia required to get the spool spinning) and are used to troll lures and baits.

Guest SnaggedAgain

thnx for the replies.

any difference between the rods? such as number of guides, position of the reel seat, etc.

my prob is that i salvaged my old man's million year old rod from his junk collection and can't figure out what kind of reel i should get. i can remember that my ol' man's reel was some sort of overhead one, but the rod feel more like a threadline than overhead. and because you can detach the bottom part, reel seat and the first guide are no help.

thnx for the replies.

any difference between the rods? such as number of guides, position of the reel seat, etc.

my prob is that i salvaged my old man's million year old rod from his junk collection and can't figure out what kind of reel i should get. i can remember that my ol' man's reel was some sort of overhead one, but the rod feel more like a threadline than overhead. and because you can detach the bottom part, reel seat and the first guide are no help.

An overhead/bait caster rod will generally have more guides than a spin rod. Generally 7-10 depending on the length of the rod...