hds alongside a elite 5

pappy

hi i have a lowrance elite 5 fish finder and would like to run a hds 5 along side it as thy both are 83/200 khz will they interfere with each other .thanks pappy

Edited by pappy1

Hi, I'm also running an elite 5 alone at the moment. May I ask why you want to run an HDS as well? I'm not overly happy with my elite 5 and if funding permits I would consider doing the same.

Cheers i had a eagle 640 and it had to go back under warranty lowrance replaced it with a elite 5 but i'm not very happy with it certainly not as good as the 640. will keep the elite 5 for the gps it ok just dont like the sonar side of it.just got a hummingbird 596cx hd di .cheers pappy

i take it you want to run a transducer for both of them ?

then yes it will interfere

you will need to run each transducer at a different frequency

that what i thought would happen .thanks for the reply

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also running an elite 5 alone at the moment. May I ask why you want to run an HDS as well? I'm not overly happy with my elite 5 and if funding permits I would consider doing the same.

Cheers

Hi, just out of curiosity what is it that is wrong with your Elite - 5 which makes you unhappy with it?? i was looking at purchasing the elite 5 combo which looked like a very good unit. user experience is always better than reading a nice big glossy brochure so hence my question..

Regards

Mick

Hi, just out of curiosity what is it that is wrong with your Elite - 5 which makes you unhappy with it?? i was looking at purchasing the elite 5 combo which looked like a very good unit. user experience is always better than reading a nice big glossy brochure so hence my question..

Regards

Mick

Its transducer isn't suited for blue water fishing. Also it only runs NMEA0183, so in my case I want to install a fuel flow sensor but the Elite 5 can't read its NMEA2000 output so I either have to get a multi-function gauge or a plotter that reads and displays NMEA2000 data. Otherwise the Elite 5 isn't too bad. It comes with Navionics gold which is an added bonus worth about $300 or so from memory. Depends where you fish and your data requirements on your boat.

Its transducer isn't suited for blue water fishing. Also it only runs NMEA0183, so in my case I want to install a fuel flow sensor but the Elite 5 can't read its NMEA2000 output so I either have to get a multi-function gauge or a plotter that reads and displays NMEA2000 data. Otherwise the Elite 5 isn't too bad. It comes with Navionics gold which is an added bonus worth about $300 or so from memory. Depends where you fish and your data requirements on your boat.

Fair point that!

thanks for the heads up. nice to get advice from users with past experience of a product.

Cheers

Fair point that!

thanks for the heads up. nice to get advice from users with past experience of a product.

Cheers

No problem mate, wish I knew better before I bought it! Oh well maybe a back up will come in handy at some point.

Let me know which one you go for.

No problem mate, wish I knew better before I bought it! Oh well maybe a back up will come in handy at some point.

Let me know which one you go for.

Ironically, i ended up buying the Elite 5 combo!! we dont really go deap sea and i liked the Navionics that came included with it. compared with my old unit it is a massive step up. i am hoping to spend the weekend end on the boat to try it out. will let you know my experience...

Cheers

and regards

Mick