Trailer Bearings

snipe

have a go at doing it yourself mate its very easy

A good life skill to learn cos they should be inspected at least once a year anyways

just make sure you pack the bearings properly with grease

Also get marine bearings they sell em at ******

Heaps better and last heaps longer

Easy as to do it yourself. as said, just make sure you properly grease the bearings (make sure you use the correct grease!!!) when you retighten the lock nut, tighten moderately hard then back it off to the first hole that the split pin will go through. then make sure the wheel spins without too much drag. also check for wobble. if too loose, nip up to the next pin hole. dont forget to check them again after use as they will settlt a little and may require a nip up. easy to do and worth having a go at incase you ever have a failed bearing on a trip... it's not hard once you have a go..

cheers

Guys - anyone know a mechanic or the like who changes trailer bearings over for a reasonable fee?? Im in south sydney, sutherland area

I had mine done at a workshop, and I sort of regret it, only cause I had problems afterwards. I had to bring it back twice (so I took it there a total of 3 times, and mind you I had to take 3 days off work which sucks). I'm yet to learn myself, but there's a thread on here which walks you through it.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=45793&st=0&p=338312&hl=+replace%20+trailer%20+bearings&fromsearch=1entry338312

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=45796&st=0&p=338327&hl=+trailer%20+disc%20+brakes&fromsearch=1entry338327

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=45797&st=0&p=338330&hl=+trailer%20+disc%20+brakes&fromsearch=1entry338330

Bearing mates is probably the way to go as well, which is just a grease nipple circle looking thing, which you use a mallet to knock in (an idea is to use a flat piece of wood on top to knock it in straight).

And you'll need to purchase a grease gun if you get bearing mates - note that I recommend to get a gun that allows you to insert the whole grease cartridge in.

I bought a gun where I had to empty the grease in it... really messy.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Guest Aussie007

do the job your self as others have suggested and keep your old bearings wash them in petrol in a container to remove all old grease than spray them with WD-40 stick the bearings in a bag or container toss them in the boat or car boot as u never know when u will need them if your driving down a highway the wheel falls off u can always go looking for the wheel but you will be left stranded without replacement wheel bearings meaning u will have to leave the boat on the side of the highway while u go find a shop to buy bearings

Guys - anyone know a mechanic or the like who changes trailer bearings over for a reasonable fee?? Im in south sydney, sutherland area

call craig from huett marine...he was going to do mine but just ended up greasing the bearings because they were ok

do the job your self as others have suggested and keep your old bearings wash them in petrol in a container to remove all old grease than spray them with WD-40 stick the bearings in a bag or container toss them in the boat or car boot as u never know when u will need them if your driving down a highway the wheel falls off u can always go looking for the wheel but you will be left stranded without replacement wheel bearings meaning u will have to leave the boat on the side of the highway while u go find a shop to buy bearings

Tts not advisable to use petrol to wash parts. It contains benzene, a known carcinogen.

I pack my old bearings in grease and then put them in a zip lock bag. Will be useful for me, or someone else on the side of the road one day. I can only imagine the relief if someone pulled up next to a bloke with a failed bearing and handed him a greased set to get him home.....

What they all said. If I can do it, you can.

I read the post given above and then found some videos on you tube.

I feel much better having done it now and feel much more comfortable when towing. If something goes wrong I know I can look at the problem and get it moving again. I know exactly the parts I need and tools to carry.

Give it go.

Guest Aussie007

the thing about youtube is you need to watch the professional videos as some of the back yarders have bad habbits and lacking experience and could leave u sitting on a highway ive seen some dodgy bearing replacements on there :1yikes: