FIRST 'LEGAL' JEWIE!

Kelza

hey raiders..

Yesterday me and the missus decided to head out of drummoyne at about 2.30 in the arvo ..No one else was launching so i decided to put the rods in the holders

and set everything up..headed through the gladesville bridge and it was really choppy .

went over a few bumpy waves pretty hard and was laughing how rough it was.

turned around and seen my adjustable rod holder facing the water and no rod in it!!

lost my ugly stick with my shimano 12000D baitrunner..so filthy with myself i couldnt believe it ..

anyway got around to cockatoo island and was choppy and windy as couldnt find anywhere comfortable.

looked around for 10mins and found a spot near point piper i think its called ..it was completely out of the wind so was happy with that.

first cast and got a few hits and i was on ..pulled up what i think was a fantailed leather jacket..he was pretty big but decided to chuck him back.

tide was running out and it was about 4.30. and then bang! the girlfriends rod buckles over and starts taking line and everything ...after a minute up comes

a stonker of a bream measuring in at 42cm to the tip of the tail. She was so happy and excited :)

About an hour passes by and nothing happening ..

missus decides she wantes to wind in to check her bait...She goes 'babe i think im on again' seems lyk a dead weight but kept winding got near the boat it was a 53cm flattie ..she couldnt believe it .she was so excited and happy

another hour and a half goes by with nothing happening and the tide was turning ..

missus pulls in this ugly massive eel thing that looked like a flattie but it had whiskers..it was hidious.

i cut her line and decided ill just put a new hook on ..

Went to wind in my rod to check bait And as i started winding i felt BANG! Zzzzzz with a blistering run i thought ohh crap this is big when i felt the weight..

but then it turned and started coming with me and i thought oh crap i lost it!!! but then it turned again and took even more line ..the missus goes 'i hope its a jewie babe' and i thought in my head (can this really be a jewie..after 6 months of trying i could actually have my first decent jewie)then i see my line is around the anchor rope.. and i thought ohh crap im going to lose this fish ..but no kept coming up and she was right it was a big jewie. she had to climb around the windscreen and net it ..she could barely lift it ..measured in at 70cm and felt like it was about 5kgs but not sure..

i was wrapped and called everyone letting them no i finally got a good jewie:)

i thought it was addictive before but now im going to try even harder to get my next jewie..

despite losing my rod and reel it ended up being a top night out with the missus..caught a few good fish and had to be one of the most exciting fishing sessions ive had.

all fish were caught on strips of squid using 2/0 baitholder hooks.(caught the squid last week)

only on light gear ..with light line but lucky i had my 20lb leader on the boat so i used that with my light rod so if i did hook something decent i had a better chance of landing it.

ill upload the pics of all the fish

going to enjoy the family BBQ today :) thanks

guy

post-18921-079978000 1315090210_thumb.jpg

post-18921-072184500 1315090324_thumb.jpg

post-18921-049382200 1315090395_thumb.jpg

post-18921-038636000 1315090494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelza

Hi mate,

Well done on the jewie, let the addiction begin.

We got one last night in MH on the low tide.

Mike

hey mate yeah i just edited the post i got it on the bottom of the tide aswell mate..

it was a mad fight on light rod and reel

Well done on your first legal jewfish mate. And well done on the bream, anything 40+ is a very decent fish.

thanks mate yeah the missus was wrapped with her bream ..bream fight so well ..im going to target them more often now

Hey kelza,

Thought I would add that once you start catching them take note of the details. Tide, moon phase bait used and time of day. There is a definite pattern of factors that combine to greatly increase the likelihood of catching them. For me I love the low tide especially when it occurs during early morning(yes daylight) and early evening like yesterday. Moon phase ATM is good. Stick out 3 or 4 rods with different baits and have strip baits on the bottom and lives about no more than 1 metre off the bottom. I always fish with fresh squid, pillies and have a live yakka down as a teaser. The yakkas bring em in for a look and more often than not they then take a pillie. Jewies are lazy and like an easy feed. The quest for one over 100cm is the challenge as they are a lot smarter than the soaps and they go hard and dirty,especially if structure around. They will go straight for a mooring, anchor rope etc. I have experienced that heart break many times as my Jew spot is smack bang in the middle of a place heavily dotted with moored boats in deep water.

Cheers

Mike

Hey kelza,

Thought I would add that once you start catching them take note of the details. Tide, moon phase bait used and time of day. There is a definite pattern of factors that combine to greatly increase the likelihood of catching them. For me I love the low tide especially when it occurs during early morning(yes daylight) and early evening like yesterday. Moon phase ATM is good. Stick out 3 or 4 rods with different baits and have strip baits on the bottom and lives about no more than 1 metre off the bottom. I always fish with fresh squid, pillies and have a live yakka down as a teaser. The yakkas bring em in for a look and more often than not they then take a pillie. Jewies are lazy and like an easy feed. The quest for one over 100cm is the challenge as they are a lot smarter than the soaps and they go hard and dirty,especially if structure around. They will go straight for a mooring, anchor rope etc. I have experienced that heart break many times as my Jew spot is smack bang in the middle of a place heavily dotted with moored boats in deep water.

Cheers

Mike

thanks mike..yeah definately mate going to really focus on trying to get jews on a regular basis ..thanks mate

Well done kelza. When you messaged me I couldn't believe it haha.

All the hard work finally paid off for you bro.. now you have to crack the metre mark :P

Oh yeh you better get me on to my first jewie now. :) lol

Once again well done brother

thanks nathy bro ..yeah we will have a mad session soon man cant wait