Springtime Trevally

pmak

Spring is here!! After a winter hiatus, what better way to celebrate Father’s Day and the start of the spring fishing season than – er.... going fishing!

We (my sons and I) launched from Kurnell and did not have to go far before we got some bites – first fish to come on board was a snook, followed soon after by a just legal trevally which were released for good karma. We drifted over the weed and sand patches for the next few hours catching the same species. My eldest son was the star of the day with the biggest trevally at 39cm.

post-3388-065773700 1315208347_thumb.jpg

No. 2 son was very disappointed to have lost another good trevally which dived into the weed and snagged him and escaped despite our best efforts to coax it out of the snag. Most things we threw at them worked – gulp grubs, squidgy wrigglers and flick baits. Fellow Fishraider Mottyman came over to say hi. I forgot that I had my Minn Kota on so I drifted away rather quickly! Hope you had some luck at the same area. The winds picked up around mid-day which meant the end of our session.

We ended the day with a yummy chilli capsicum trevally dish later that night.

Hope fellow Raiders had a great Father’s Day

pmak

Thanks for the comments guys.

Breambucket - I actually enjoy targetting trevally over bream though bream are a welcome by-catch!

Cruisecraft - you're correct with the sashimi. I have tried it before but am terrible at the preparation and getting good clean fillets.

Basscatcher - I have not been fishing the bay for very long but this last winter has been awful :thumbdown: . After a few donut sessions in late June/early July, I decided to hibernate over the winter period and shift my attention to my house and garden instead. Oh - my wife has been happy to see more of me on the weekends too ... :biggrin2:

pmak

Thanks for the comments guys.

Breambucket - I actually enjoy targetting trevally over bream though bream are a welcome by-catch!

Cruisecraft - you're correct with the sashimi. I have tried it before but am terrible at the preparation and getting good clean fillets.

Basscatcher - I have not been fishing the bay for very long but this last winter has been awful :thumbdown: . After a few donut sessions in late June/early July, I decided to hibernate over the winter period and shift my attention to my house and garden instead. Oh - my wife has been happy to see more of me on the weekends too ... :biggrin2:

pmak

trevally are a welcomed bycatch when im fishing for bream same with flatties and whiting :)

unless im in a comp :ranting2:

Cheers

Pete