Squidding Jigs+Techniques

jamesc5562

Hey Raiders looking for some wisdom,

I know that squid, whether live or dead, are probably THE gun bait for jewies and kingies. iv been using yakkas but i want to get some squid instead.

i recently purchased some yamashita jigs in olive and silver bait fish colour. however after doing some more reading it seems more people prefer pink, green and orange coloured jigs to naturals.

so what would you say would be 3-4 colours to cover dawn/dusk situations, overcast and night fishing.

also what are some good jigging techniques? i have seen the japanese squidders using really vigorous techniques but i would think this would scare off the squid.

any help would be great

Mate blue 1.8 works for me at night time, as for jigging, I find I catch more when I leave it to sink to the bottom before a couple of twitches to get it back off the sand.

really blue? i guess they respond more to movement and the shadow than the actual colour of the jig.

Hey Raiders looking for some wisdom,

I know that squid, whether live or dead, are probably THE gun bait for jewies and kingies. iv been using yakkas but i want to get some squid instead.

i recently purchased some yamashita jigs in olive and silver bait fish colour. however after doing some more reading it seems more people prefer pink, green and orange coloured jigs to naturals.

so what would you say would be 3-4 colours to cover dawn/dusk situations, overcast and night fishing.

also what are some good jigging techniques? i have seen the japanese squidders using really vigorous techniques but i would think this would scare off the squid.

any help would be great

Mate, the natural whites, greys, purples etc. are more suited for datyime squidding however i still get em on these at night. Generally speaking the pinks, oranges and greens are better at night. I only use 2.5g's and these catche both tiny and large squid over 1kg...

thanks mate. iv got a few different colours to cover most situations (goodbye paycheck but owell you dont die with it :1prop: )

got a 2.5 in the yakka colour that ill be really interested to see how it works, its a yamashita with the live cloth covering.

Youtube has loads of videos if you are after technique. Search for the japanese videos. My catch rate rocketed using their technique. I only use the slow retrieve when nothing else works.

yeah iv been watching a few of them and many people say they work more effectively, you cant put too much action into the jig! as long as you let it sink enough. i suppose now its just the process of putting them to use. cheers guys

SQUIDDIN is right, the warm jackets do produce, reason I said for the small blue, is that its always worked for me, usually pinks and orange work at night, but I dunno, If at first you dont exceed with one jig on a night...... go buy a bunch of different colors and alternate.

My two favourite night time jigs are size 2 yamashita's one in orange with a glowing body and one in the natural gold. I reckon these two account for 90% of my squid and have time and again out squidded other jigs i or my mates have tried. For me Naturals are the only choice during daylight but will still match just about any other jig at night as well. Lastly, stick to the yamashita's, they are pricey but with out a doubt in my opinion they make the best jigs on the market.

Rich