First Bass of the season and on a surface lure?

ARP1980

Decided it was time to dust off the kayak and hit the nepean on Monday afternoon following a big grand final night to see if the bass wanted to play yet.

The signs were not good. It was cold, breezy and three fellow fishos with full bass fishing setups for these waters had been on the river for hours with only 'a few hits' to speak of

We fished shallow and deep divers for about 2 hours with nothing to speak of and were ready to give up approaching dusk when my mate lifted his SX40 out of the water to cast and a hungry bass launched at it. I thought hmmmm surely its too early for surface lures? theres no bugs around, we've hardly seen a rise and not even the water dragons had come out yet (a common bass fishing site in this area)

So third cast with my heddon torpedo and BANG - big hit but no hookup. Then he had a 2nd go at it before realising it wasnt food. Spewing I missed it but happy that the bass were hitting the surface so early in the season.

About 15 minutes later I cast into a very fishy snag and as soon as the lure hit the water it was engulfed by a monster who fought like a true bronze battler. I love these fish. I was stoked with my first bass of the season going 40cm and in prime condition.

post-6111-096979500 1317769512_thumb.jpg

post-6111-046222200 1317769529_thumb.jpg

Guest hawkesbass

got to love the heddon torpedo in black as a bass/ep lure never fails to catch fish well done on the early season bass :thumbup:

Great bass there, even better for the surface :thumbup:

I am Hitting up the nepean tomorrow and going to try to get my mate his first bass, seems to be his hoodoo fish. Were going to go from the airport up to the weir, have you heard of any bass taken from in there??

Cheers stu

Edited by bassboy888

I am Hitting up the nepean tomorrow and going to try to get my mate his first bass, seems to be his hoodoo fish. Were going to go from the airport up to the weir, have you heard of any bass taken from in there??

Cheers stu

try wallacia me and my my bro caught 4 between us on divers and spinnerbaits..... bit quite at camden at the moment, I went up to that weir a couple of days ago on dusk trying to crack my first for the season on the surface with no luck. Wont be long though!!! Devlin rd entrance on the nepean should be starting to fire dont stay near the junction though head down stream over the weed barrier and fish the deeper sections with spinner baits or divers. Good luck wherever you go!!!

Hey ARP, love the report, that's a cracking bass. Do you know any good landbased spots around the area? A mate and I (both boatless) are thinking of going after them on the fly. Catch and release only. I'd appreciate any pointers on where we should aim.

I've seen people catching bass on fly at Menangle from the beach area near the bridge. Apart from that you'd probably need a kayak to make it worth while mate. Cheers.

Cheers stu

Yep. The one in the photo hahaha